Perhaps the dumbest question ever asked about photography

Meh, I ask plenty of dumb questions. Better to ask and look dumb than to crack on and eff things up cos you're afraid of looking like an idiot. Learned that pretty quick during my apprenticeship.

Who buys a $2000 camera without when they don't know anything about it? They must be pretty lax with cash.

That's like me buying a $3000 printer and then asking if it requires ink....Don't make no sense.

maybe they are a free lenser?

Yes. You CAN take photos using a DSLR without a lens. Just drill a pinhole in the body cap and use a tripod.

Next dumb question?

Who buys a $2000 camera without when they don't know anything about it?

Well I bought a £400 camera and didn't know anything about it (yes I used auto mode AND scene modes).

It's actually not a dim question; many many people are used to phones, tablets, point and shoots, bridge cameras. All those cameras use a built in lens and have adaptors sold to do more than the stock lens can do. So its no surprise that a question they have is can a DSLR do the same - a stock lens and then adaptors onto it kind of thing.

I mean sure its the kind of question most ask the sales rep- but in this day and age of the internet where we might not step into a shop we have to ask those questions - in public ;)

Yes. You CAN take photos using a DSLR without a lens. Just drill a pinhole in the body cap and use a tripod.

Next dumb question?

Someone asked what "mm" that would be?
Me:
Doesn't a pinhole camera actually have a way to calculate focal length?
I know as much about pinhole as this guy knows about DSLR's. :)

It pays to use various names on the Internet.

snerd
aka Philip Kendall

If I facepalm any harder, I risk serious damage to my wrist and my face.

Mockery says more about the littleness of the mocker than anything else. It's not a dumb question at all if you happen not to be a great nerd.

Mockery says more about the littleness of the mocker than anything else. It's not a dumb question at all if you happen not to be a great nerd.
i am with you. The ignorance is on the other side.

Really?

I am sorry but this is biblically stupid. It would be like asking a car dealership if I really needed an steering wheel in my car of if I could just driving using the turn signals.

If knowing a camera needs a lens to work is considered nerdy than I am Stephen Hawkins.

Last edited:
This type of person is the same ones that call tech support about thier tech not working only to find out that it isn't plugged in.

Most reactions

Back