Perhaps this is a stupid question but -

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to get a Sony A100 through e-bay. Many do not come with USB cable or manual. The manual is not a big deal as there are downloads for it and the lantern guides. Windows Vista Premium, which I have, is listed as being able to recognize the camera because it already has the proper drivers and as for upload software, Adobe PE5 has an upload manager. My question is this - are all digital camera usb cables the same? Probably not.....and can I purchase one at a camera shop or computer store? Any idea what one I will need, or will the "knowledgable" :wink: sales clerk be able to tell me what one I need?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

There are basically 2 kinds of usb cables (more if you look back in time but 2 common use now) they are the 4 and 5 pin cables. you just need to find out which one the camera uses and order one off of e-bay (they cost like $20+ in the store you can often find them for $5 or less elsewhere). Good luck.

Thank you both. I won't know for several hours yet if my bid will win - sure hope it does, this camera looks to be in mint condition and comes with several accessories.... just have to wait and see. Thanks again.

That's not a stupid question, but I really wonder why you'd be looking for an Alpha 100 when the 200 is so cheap. Many people I talk to say they weren't very impressed with the 100 and that it was only the 200 made them take Sony seriously.

But I guess you've got good reasons.

That's not a stupid question, but I really wonder why you'd be looking for an Alpha 100 when the 200 is so cheap. Many people I talk to say they weren't very impressed with the 100 and that it was only the 200 made them take Sony seriously.

Dagwood, you were originally looking at the A300. What happened? Didn't you get that one? I would agree with D.D., 200 at least and the 300 would be better.

skieur

Forget the cable, get a card reader.

+1

I've owned my D300 since the first week it was introduced, and it has never been plugged into a computer.

+1 for the card reader as well. easier and if you happen to hook the cord connecting it, its only the reader falling and not your camera.

There are no stupid questions.... only stupid answers. :lol:

The best advice has already been given, get yourself a card reader. I have never connected either of my cameras directly to a computer.

That's a good point. I've got the A100 and have really enjoyed the camera, but I also bought it when it was the only Sony DSLR on the market. I'm currently saving for the A700.

The A100 will definitely be cheaper than the A200...but probably only by $100ish which isn't much considering how much accessories, lenses, etc. will be.

There are no stupid questions.... only stupid answers. :lol:

... and I have the copyright on stupid answers around here... lol.

A note that has already been given is that card readers are the way to go. They are for several reasons as already noted but 2 reasons that were left out are:

- even an ordinary USB 2 card reader will download files faster to your camera than if directly connected. Even the new D700/D3 professional cameras are slower when downloading from camera. A Firewire card reader is the king of speed.

- Because USB contains current to power USB devices, it is possible to have a defective connection on a cable that sends a current through your camera, effectively frying it. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. My camera is in the $4-digit range and I have no desire to even TAKE that chance.

Although anecdotal, I was told a story where a person was downloading photos off their camera via a USB and the house received a power spike. No surge protector was in place and the camer was only a month or so out of mfg warranty. A D200 paper weight anyone?

Although anecdotal, I was told a story where a person was downloading photos off their camera via a USB and the house received a power spike. No surge protector was in place and the camer was only a month or so out of mfg warranty. A D200 paper weight anyone?

Try your house insurance on that one.

skieur

Most reactions

Back