Permission for shooting outdoor youth sports?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ssmopar, Sep 25, 2007.

1. ssmopar

ssmopar TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have tried to find info about this in the FAQ and had no luck. Do I need permission(and if so from who)to shoot youth sporting events and sell the photos from a website? I am looking for as much information as I can get or resources where I can find it. Thanks!
    p.s. Please be easy on me this is my first time and I've read where some people here are mean...lol

2. subimatt

subimatt TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont shoot sports but this is my advice, I would make sure you have permission from the teams, the parents, and possibly the venue. Especially if you plan on selling them.

3. MarkCSmith

MarkCSmith TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes. You need permission from the parents and probably from the league. You will likely not get the OK to shoot for profit. Not many parents are cool with some random person taking photos of their kid, especially if they say they want to sell them.

4. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    The answers to this are found in the copyright laws. If you are to benefit financially by the sale of the images (other than journalistically) then you must have a release signed for any recognizable likeness of a person or copyrighted work.

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for looking through the FAQ... and making the effort ot clearly state your question.

As everyone said, you'll need to obtain permission if you are to benefit financially. These days in the United States, the general public is hyper sensitive to various things.. this includes photography of children/youth. No longer is a camera at a playground or sporting event considered 'normal' or innocent. Even if not for profit, I would still make sure the parents are comfortable with your presense and your intention to photograph their children. It is a sad case of affairs but it is the case we just have to accept.

In the end, you'll be more comfortable and the parents will be more comfortable.