permission or not?

"I like to stay stationary and let the masses flow around me."

"A moving target is hard to hit."

Yeah. That's what tracking is all about though right?

Kind of tricky with the masses, though, isn't it?

They tend to move in several different directions at once. :lmao:

i like to blend in as much as possible, with the crowd, if someone does take a notice in me, i just look away-- play around with my camera as if im checking something--focusing--anything (hold it up--pull it down--point different ways) ..and i walk slowly away... just casually..

Yep, I totally agree. Unless you're making a living at photography ... it is just better to walk away. Shoot and walk ... shoot and walk ... and in some cases just walk.

Gary

Yeah, I like that idea, and your pictures were stunning, so I'm gonna actually try that some day. Now I just need to figure out how to get away from the kids one day so I can actually go shoot pictures of people in the city. :)

[deleted]

^^^ I'm not going to argue with you, but I think you're being silly.

^^^ I'm not going to argue with you, but I think you're being silly.
Not wanting an argument, but discussion is fine - Silly in what way? I Made the statement, it is correct (For where I am, and most parts of the western world), I Don't see it as immoral, where's the sillyness? <shrug>

[edit] To clarify, I Don't make a living from photography, and don't intend to, I don't sell photos, let alone of random people on the street - I just don't see a problem with doing so. Would I have an issue with seeing my image for sale in an artistic, non commercial, non derogatory way? No, I'd be pretty chuffed! I Might try and pick up a free copy for myself, I don't think that'd be too much to ask, but I certianly wouldn't try to sue over it.

Not wanting an argument, but discussion is fine - Silly in what way? I Made the statement, it is correct (For where I am, and most parts of the western world), I Don't see it as immoral, where's the sillyness? <shrug>

[edit] To clarify, I Don't make a living from photography, and don't intend to, I don't sell photos, let alone of random people on the street - I just don't see a problem with doing so. Would I have an issue with seeing my image for sale in an artistic, non commercial, non derogatory way? No, I'd be pretty chuffed! I Might try and pick up a free copy for myself, I don't think that'd be too much to ask, but I certianly wouldn't try to sue over it.

Basically I started posting definitions of what "commercial" means, and in my experience the moment you start posting definitions the thread is going to hell in a handbasket, so I decided to stop and go have an ice cream sandwhich instead. :)

Mmmm ice-cream sandwiches!!! Hey, hold it in your hand and walk around in a crowd. I wanna see if I can track it and how many bites you can take before it's no longer trackable. :D

Last edited:
Mmmm ice-cream sandwiches!!! Hey, hold it in your hand and walk around in a crowd. I wanna see if I can track it and how many bites you can take before it's no longer trackable. :D

:lmao:

I am very intrigued by this subject...which is why I try to read through the virtually same thread that continually pops up about twice a month.

I don't offer much input on the subject because I don't have much knowledge on the subject. I want to learn.

But it seems like people are quick to give their input here and then claim it as law, or absolutely correct when I think a lot of it is really just a lot of hearsay and misinformation.

From what I have read here and checking out other links to photographers' rights and that sort of thing, I really think Gary (Seefutlung) has the most accurate information here. He has made a living doing exactly that, and he's got the shots from way back to back it up. I would think he knows a thing or two about the subject.

I just wish that if people don't truly know, that they wouldn't put their opinion out there on the web and state it as absolute fact. It is just adding to the propagation of false information that spreads throughout the web and just adds to the confusion, one of the major drawbacks of the internet.

I am very intrigued by this subject...which is why I try to read through the virtually same thread that continually pops up about twice a month.

I don't offer much input on the subject because I don't have much knowledge on the subject. I want to learn.

But it seems like people are quick to give their input here and then claim it as law, or absolutely correct when I think a lot of it is really just a lot of hearsay and misinformation.

From what I have read here and checking out other links to photographers' rights and that sort of thing, I really think Gary (Seefutlung) has the most accurate information here. He has made a living doing exactly that, and he's got the shots from way back to back it up. I would think he knows a thing or two about the subject.

I just wish that if people don't truly know, that they wouldn't put their opinion out there on the web and state it as absolute fact. It is just adding to the propagation of false information that spreads throughout the web and just adds to the confusion, one of the major drawbacks of the internet.

Thanks Marcus. The problem is that many people truly think that their information is accurate. Most inaccurate advice is well intended and not delivered with malice. Things get ugly when people refuse to accept facts which are contary to their opinions. If we all stay open minded and argue facts not emotions ... we, as a community, can openly discuss topics with difference of opinions and walk away with more knowledge then when we started and equally important ... walk away as a respected member of this community.

Gary

PS- I can't even remember how many times I've been wrong ... especially in technical discussions ...
G

It is just adding to the propagation of false information that spreads throughout the web and just adds to the confusion, one of the major drawbacks of the internet.

OK, For those of us in Austalia, this will eliminate any confusion. Written by a qualified solicitor.

http://4020.net/words/photorights.php

To those elsewhere in the world, there's links towards the bottom with references for other countries.

i'll stay out of the legal debate ince ive never sold one of my photos.

when traveling, i sometimes photograph the local in public as far as asking permission, i prefer candid shooting so approaching the subject first would result in a posed shot. long telephotos intimidate people so i use a 50mm or 18-55mm. ive never been attacked or reprimanded, but ive gotten some weird looks when caught.

Great thread. very informative... I always have trouble taking candid shots with professional telephoto canon lenses for obvious reasons. that white paint only seems to be able to capture candid undomesticated animals. Even my dog notices flashy L and becomes a bit silly in front of it, but dont we all? I somes wish telephoto L's werent so flashy.

Most reactions

Back