Permission to photograph a horse???

It's not usually taking the picture it's how you use it. This doesn't seem to fit commercial or retail use, where the photographer is making money and usually property or model releases are signed. But the photographer did benefit financially from using the photo.

Maybe this is why contests, at least here, seem to often require model and property releases. To prevent something like this from happening.

I'm not sure if the horse owner can expect that people won't take pictures of this horse if it's along the fence along a well traveled path/sidewalk. But I would lean toward getting permission to use a photo of someone or their property for anything other than personal use.

I wouldn't think anything can be done about it now if it's not illegal to take pictures of her property from a public area. If the horse owner wants to prevent this I suppose she'll need to have a tall fence put up along that walkway or she's probably going to continue to have looky-loos (especially now wanting to see the horse make this face!).

As a horse owner do you really think the contest people could tell if the hoof print on the release was from that horse???

Agreed, but could THEY tell the difference. In my 33+ years as an LEO the FBI maintains a fingerprint data base. They don't maintain a horse shoe data base. And what about the unshod horses or the horses that have been re-shod. New shoes every few months, new changes. Not like fingerprints.

Of course every horse may have a unique nose print, I don't know. All I know is I don't want to try and ink up the schnoz on my horses. They probably wouldn't appreciate it.

Surely a hoof print is only valid on an unshod horse because the shoe itself is only a product of the blacksmith or even a factory produced item. Of course the hoofprint itself will be changed by any work the farrier does too so there's another negative to hoofprints.

Noseprints might work! Or whiskers!!

Yes honestly whisker patterns (where they emerge from the face) are used for seals for identification (computer) of different individuals and they are as unique as fingerprints. Might be the very same for a horse - might be more tricky though if you shave your horses whiskers off.

Horse shoes print would actually work. Even factory made shoes, which my farrier doesn't use unless requested, will be custom fit to the hoof. There will be some changes made to the shoe when it is fitted to the hoof.

... All I know is I don't want to try and ink up the schnoz on my horses. They probably wouldn't appreciate it.
But... you won't actually know 'til you try it....
Oh on Charlie I do. Feel free to come by sometime and give it a go. I will split 50/50 the $10,000 I will win from America's Funniest Home Videos. That way you me and the horse can go on a nice vacation. :biggrin-93::biglaugh:

If the horse was like Mr. Ed he could have given permission himself. The horse, of course. Feel free to sing along.

I wonder if anyone here on the forum has the horses' permission to post in an internet thread about said horse.

Most reactions

Back