Persona Portraits C&C Please

Timoris

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A side project I am working on, taking "Persona" portraits of the people I work with, meant to be light hearted.

VirginPortraits-1-2.jpg

VirginPortraits-2-2.jpg

VirginPortraits-3-2.jpg

Equipment:

Canon EOS T2i / 550D
f/8
1/200 sec
ISO 200
50mm

Canon Speedlite 580 EX II
+1 1/3
Umbrella bounce

Considering I only had a single light (Umbrella bounce) and the environment I have to shoot in is pretty dark, I knew I wasn't going to escape with a nice clean white background, had I had more light, I would have shot with the subjects further away, eliminating the shadow. However, as it stands, I like how it's worked into the pictures, ads a bit of depth.

I like the fun in the photo of the girl. Nice poser, very relaxed and funny.
Light on her works, while I'm not so sure I like it on the man.
But then I'm not into studio photography AT ALL, so don't take any of what I say about lighting seriously. All I can ever express is "feelings", the technicality of all that is far beyond me.

I'm not a strobist but that shadow underneath the faces are distracting. Maybe throw another light pointing up?

^^^

That and what is the girls persona? I get #1 - pilot. But what is she? Diva?

I love the concept but the lighting could be improved by moving the flash and umbrella closer and lower. Arrange your light (and you seem to have only one light) so that the flash unit itself is about the height of your subject's forehead. Having your subjects face the light might improve the look slightly.

I will be taking more pictures in the following days, as such I will implement the suggestions you guys have made soo far.
Thank you!

Most reactions

Back