Personal Experience about Film/Digital Question

catweh00

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please notice I wrote "Question" above, not debate.

I just thought I would add my two cents to people's posts about what to buy and when. I was in the exact same situation about one year ago. And then more recently, about two months ago, I made my decision.

Well, I had played around with my dad's old nikon 2020 for about a year, not doing anything sriously with it. I just took a lot of snapshots, that's all. Soon I bought 15 photography books to learn from--great books that Ken Rockwell recommended on his website. I learned even more.

Then I wondered if I should buy a new film or digital camera (SLR). I opted to buy film (Nikon N75) 3 months ago, while I waited to save up money for a DSLR. Now, I had some lenses, bought a couple more, and I had a nikon sb-23 flash.

So I learned a lot more on this camera for three months, shooting everyday and burning a lot of film. I enjoyed it.

But then I had saved up enough money doing oddjobs and I purchased a DSLR (nikon d70). I had been researching this for a long time and since I already had nikkor lenses, I stayed in the boat. I was able to buy the whole kit and caboodle.

So now I have two cameras, both work great, and I am happy.

Point of post: Practice on a film, save up and study for dSLRs (their prices can only go down) and then eventually buy one. You can always keep your film or sell it--nikon has a decent resale value I believe.

Thats it, I hope this helps some of you. I am a very basic beginner, but it worked out very well for me thus far.

Craig

Most reactions

Back