Personal Style

My comment on this topic is not focus on anyone in particular, and definitely not the OP, but here is my thinking on photography and style.

I think people should think less about developing a style, and use their time to learn the basics, proper camera workflow, and post processing skills. This process can take years.

Then after years of doing this, one will find themselves shooting in certain ways, angles, going for a certain look in post processing, that sort of thing. The evolving into one's style is almost automatic and subconsciencous, but could be deliberate too I suppose.

Too often people try to define their style before they know how the basics work, before they've mastered core skills, and often they characterize their mistakes as "style"... a justification that could stunt growth.

+1 my style when I started is very different to my common shooting style now - but there is little fixed in that style since I still don't know enough about the camera and the editing to be able to choose to delibratly alter things for the aspect of style in all cases.
And yet I do aim for something and there is a style emerging I think - though I don't quite know what it will look like yet

i always liked the low angle shots. I mainly shoot sports and i always try and get that low angle

Sure... I have developed a repertoire of about 200-300 different styles and depending on what/where/when/who/how I am shooting, one of these styles pertains to the specific shot. I actually have a much larger repertoire but I tend to limit myself to within this 200-300...
Dismaying though, that over the years I see so many other photographers blatantly "copying" my styles, rather than developing their own unique styles.
I see that recently, one fellow won a prestigious international photographic competition worth $50,000 US who had obviously copied several of my styles (positioning the subject on an intersection of thirds, perfect WB, brilliant clarity, spot-on focus, accurate exposure) without even a credit to yours truly...
Ah well...
jedo

I tend to have a slight style when shooting animal pictures as well as fire apparatus. I just really like that low angle looking up type of style. I have received so many comments on how they like this angle.......

heres one example;

medium.jpg

I tend to have a slight style when shooting animal pictures as well as fire apparatus. I just really like that low angle looking up type of style. I have received so many comments on how they like this angle.......

heres one example;

medium.jpg

That's one of MY styles you're using there...
Sheesh..!!
Jedo
(J/K)

Glad we can share:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I was thinking about this the other day. I'm not sure why, but I usually shoot from the right, with the subject looking to my left. Maybe it's the way I lean, or the way I hold the camera, but it just happens, and when it doesn't, I can't help but feel a little confused by the image.

For a little while, I boosted the darks and went for very high-contrast, moody shots. Then I got bored. It's since been switched for low-saturation. Still searching.

But, no matter what I try, I seem to be a sucker for bokeh.

Most reactions

Back