Perspective 350D Buyer w/ a Few Questions

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bobaab, Jan 29, 2006.

1. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

Hey guys, I've been posting around here for a couple months now, gathering information as it builds up to that big day...of buying the 350D. :) I am set on buying that camera, as I have a Canon EOS 650 at the moment, with two lenses I can use and filters to go along with it. It'll be the most cost effective choice. My camera purchase is coming soon, well, hopefully within the next two months. I'm paying for half and my parents are going to pay for half, as an early birthday present.

With that being said, I have a few questions before buying the 350D.

1) Should I buy this camera now? Or is there a newer Digital Rebel coming out within the next year?
    2) Are there any accessories that are recommended with the purchase of a 350D?
    3) Is there a place I can get the 350D (new) for less than $754 (beachcamera.com)?
    4) What is the buffer size on the 350D? I couldn't find any info on the Canon website.

It's too late, I had a few more worthwhile questions but this is all I can think of at the moment..thanks in advance!

-Bob

2. skylark

skylark TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you feel the camera meets your needs now, buy it now. YES there will probably be a new entry level DSLR from Canon soon, it's spec will be higher than the 350D (as the 350D was higher specced than the 300D etc. etc.) probably a higher density chip (16Mpixel anyone ?) but the new camera will be superseded in about 12 months. Ask anyone who paid for a 20D then found that the 5D had a full frame sensor :(

Buy what you need now and expect its value to plummet over the next two years, cameras are now in the same league as computers in this respect.

Now if you were to buy a MF or 35mm FILM camera ..... :D

3. Aoide

Aoide TPF Noob!

4. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You'll never buy a camera if you think like that. Buy a camera that gives you the features you need, and the resolution for whatever output you choose. It's not going to become obsolete overnight. You'll be investing in a lens system that can be used with every successive digital body in that line, so if you feel the need to upgrade in a year, or 5, then you have a kit already.

5. bantor

bantor TPF Noob!

This is not an answer to one of your questions but, go and hold the camera in a store before you buy it. Make sure it is conforatable in your hands. To me that is one of the most important things in a camera, if it is comforatable.

6. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

thanks for the replies guys, that website was very, very informative, but didn't have the buffer information I wanted. But my conclusion from reading everyone's thoughts on buffer is that I don't need to worry about it, as I won't be shooting THAT consecutively.

As for buying now, you guys are very right. There is a reason why this camera is priced the way it is now. Even waiting for the next one would mean putting out even more money.

I have held this camera, played with it, and I think it's very good. I have personally used the 300D on a "for fun" photoshoot and I liked it very much. I have yet to really get to know the 350D, but from what I've experienced at the electronic stores, I like how it feels.

I have another question that came up:

Should I buy new, get a full warranty, or buy used, and pay less?

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's up to you.

I personally like buying new...especially with electronics. It's really hard to know how it's been treated if you are buying used.

Plus, the smell of new electronics (especially cameras) is just so good.

But ya, they are expensive so saving money might be the best way to go. Make sure you get it from somewhere/someone that has a return policey...just in case.

8. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

ok guys, went to Best Buy today, picked up the camera, kissed it, hugged it, etc. It fits in my hand well.

So, the camera has been ordered from BeachCamera.com !!

Bought the 350D in black + Canon 50mm f/1.8 lense for $834 total with 2-3 day shipping :) I'm impatient I know..but I want it FOR SURE by next weekend, as I'll be in Boston. Thanks so much for everyone's help here. My questions from here on out will be purely of "how can I make this picture better?" or "is anyone else mesmerized by this camera?"

Thanks again guys, you've made me a very, very happy man. :)

9. ChopstickHero

ChopstickHero TPF Noob!

glad to see you purchased a fine camera. enjoy it!

10. kemplefan

kemplefan TPF Noob!

nice purchas i geus im a litle late but i am a bug nikon fan and would recomend a nikon over a conon but that for th elenses if youa re will ing the spend extra to get the best lenses get a adapter rind it fits on your canon bodie and alows dit to use nikon lenses

11. bobaab

bobaab TPF Noob!

are you ok? there's like a million typo's in your reply..

but thanks for your opinion, you didn't reply quick enough to make me change my mind tho! haha. I have done a lot of research into both the D50 and 350D actually. My roommate actually has the D50 and I have used it so I have a good idea of what it is capable of. I still went with the Canon tho, as I am biased and the loyalty thing sticks through lol. Well on top of that, I really do think I will be happy with this camera, due to how it feels in my hand, the lightness of it, the quality of pictures, and compatibilty with the equipment I already own (although you said there are adapters, but that is an added cost).

BeachCamera had me call them today, and verify my address because my billing address is at home and shipping address was in a different state. I am in a completely different state for school (Purdue University). That's really good for them cause if someone who took my credit card charged $900 to it, then shipped to their own address, matters could get out of hand real quick..so far, this company has been very quick with everything. I had to wait about 10 mins to get through to the billing department of customer service, but after I got through, I was done within 3 minutes. An hour after the call, the camera is boxed and on the way to my apartment. Hopefully I'll get it by thursday :)

:lmao: <--------- Me

12. ChopstickHero

ChopstickHero TPF Noob!

I suggest the BG-E3 battery grip as one of your accessories. the camera handles very well with it attached. feels like a bigger camera, more sturdy. i rarely take it off.