Pesky Dust.

Sobek5150

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
community.webshots.com
It never fails, dust finds it's way to your lens. Unfortunately, some interesting dust has found its way to mine, but not in an easy to access area. I'm using a Canon EF 28 - 135mm and have some dust that has settled -behind- the outermost lens element, as well as one of the more inner ones, as I can see it travel back into the lens when I twist the zoom.

Anyone have any suggestions? My thought is I'll probably have to get it professionally cleaned, but I'm all about saving some money if I can. I'm not even sure -how- it got in there, to be completely honest. I noticed a small hole around the front of the lens that I assumed was for letting out moisture when a drastic temperature change happens. I think this may be my mystery entry point, but anyway, a little feedback from you fine folks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Don't worry about it. The chances of that dust actually showing up in your images is very remote. Having it cleaned would be an expensive and unnecessary procedure.

Would shooting some air from a can of compressed air be a good idea?

Would shooting some air from a can of compressed air be a good idea?

No, not really.

I pretty much guarantee that you can't see the dust in your pictures, so don't worry about it unless you see a gray film of dust...

Sobek......we have a pair of 28-135's and yes dust collects. We shoot horse shows and you can imagine the amount we get. I just brush off the outside and/or use a microfiber cloth.
Never had a problem with dust showing on images.

Well, seems that the general consensus is that dust is little more than... well dust. I suppose I should have mentioned I -am- having spots show up on the pictures, which was what tipped me off in the first place. Could this be dust, or spots on the sensor? If so, any suggestions on removing them? Thanks again for all the feedback.

Could this be dust, or spots on the sensor? If so, any suggestions on removing them? Thanks again for all the feedback.
Bingo!
Do a search of the forum, sensor dust has been talked about many many times. It's fairly easy to deal with. Also, if it's just a few spots, they are super easy to clean up in Photoshop.

Yeah.. That's my mistake. Sorry if I wasted anyones time, I was just so sure of it being the dust in the lens. When I saw the comment about dust not really showing up on film, I thought it might be the sensor. After replying, I curiously searched the forums for posts on sensor cleaning.

All's well now with the camera. Thanks for your patience and good tips!

Most reactions

Back