Pet Peaves

Unimaxium said:
This may be kind of arbitrary or unusually specific, but one of my big pet peeve's is the misuse of apostrophe's. Especially in sentence's when people are trying to make single nouns into plural's when they actually are making them into posessive's.

For all those who don't know what I mean, then check out this webpage which claims to be from the 'apostrophe protection society.'. And for something slightly more credible-looking, this webpage is from Purdue University's website.

And yes, that first paragraph was an example of poor apostrophe usage. :p
Reece's candy uses the apostrophe. So if someone named Reece comes up to you eating a Reece's peanut butter cup and asks to have it, you better give it to him.

voodoocat said:
Reece's candy uses the apostrophe. So if someone named Reece comes up to you eating a Reece's peanut butter cup and asks to have it, you better give it to him.

Actually, it's ReeSe's... not to be peevishly critical. :lol:

spiralout said:
Actually, it's ReeSe's... not to be peevishly critical. :lol:
:lol: :hail: :hail: WOOOTTTT!!! (as arty would say)

voodoocat said:

That's because Reese's Peices is posessive, not plural... as in the ''Peices that belong to Reese''. The candy was probably named after someone named Reece, similar to how the Baby Ruth candy bar was named after someone named Ruth. So actually the name Reese's Peices makes sense, and does follow the rules of proper apostrophe usage :p

Pet Peeve of the day: Not being able to get a job eventhough I have a kick ass 4 year degree. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

My pet peeve these days:

A husband with hayfever.

Not that he isn't the poor one - he sure is. It's suffering of a high degree.
Agreed.
But that he has to sniffle, what? "Sniffle"?, SNORT endlessly makes me and all his surroundings a victim, too! Aaargh!

Husband snorting day in day out or the choir member with the sniffles, who declines to take a paper hanky (offering which was a big sign from her co-singers!!!!!) with the words "I sniffle all the time anyway, thanks". Aaaargh! In CHOIR PRACTISE! I beg your pardon!

When you lose your connection and get told by your ISP that they will contact you to arrange a visit in the next 24 hours.
When you get no phone-call from them.
When you phone them up to be told that you needed to phone them, that they arranged an visit by e-mail and you rejected it (with no connection....) and finally tell you they'll be around between 1pm and 5pm.
When they turn up at 11am whilst you're half way through cleaning the dump that is your computer table and you're burning a cd. :oops:
When your mum tells the Asian guy to put a bomb under it. And then that awkward silence as we all realise what she's just said in innocence. :shock:

Ahhh so that explains the mysterious absence. I was wondering where what had happened to you.

I hate ISPs. I rang mine last week when i couldn't connect and they told me to go on the net and download the new firmware for my modem. Dick heads.

Meysha said:
Ahhh so that explains the mysterious absence. I was wondering where what had happened to you.
:blushing:
I hate ISPs. I rang mine last week when i couldn't connect and they told me to go on the net and download the new firmware for my modem. Dick heads.
But, but, you're superwoman! Are you losing your powers? :(

Ours has always been a bit crappy. It's got lots of lights on the front and two are meant to be on all the time, they never have been. Turns out we've got a weak signal. It ranges from 1-10, 10 being the highest. We were on number 9 and it's still weak. They're coming on Thursday to replace the cable which comes from the street to our house and he's given us some proper cable to use in the house. My dad had done stuff on the cheap and used the wrong stuff... And the bloke found a bit of cable when Abby had chewed it. :oops: :lol:
Our connection will still be crappy until they replace the cable.

People telling me how to set up a computer when they do not know where the on/off button is..

Unimaxium said:
This may be kind of arbitrary or unusually specific, but one of my big pet peeve's is the misuse of apostrophe's. Especially in sentence's when people are trying to make single nouns into plural's when they actually are making them into posessive's.

For all those who don't know what I mean, then check out this webpage which claims to be from the 'apostrophe protection society.'. And for something slightly more credible-looking, this webpage is from Purdue University's website.

And yes, that first paragraph was an example of poor apostrophe usage. :p

I thought I was all alone here!!! I hate that. Especially the people who think that, for example, "the car that belongs to Wes" is "Wes' car." AHHHHHHH
Wes's. Wes's! Apostrophe, then another 'S,' &^#*$@. *deep breaths*

Most reactions

New Topics

Back