Pet Peeves

LuckySo-n-So

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While I'm far from a pro, or even an "enthusiast," I still have pet peeves concerning photography.

My biggest pet peeve is when I see people with SLR cameras not supporting the base of the camera with the palm of their left hand when taking a picture.

What are YOUR pet peeves? Just curious. (And I will go ahead and give you "Idiots like me posting stupid topics like this":lol:)

I'm not sure whether this is a peeve or a sorrow, but ...

watching folks 'snap' a picture when, with a few moments of reflection and concentration, they could be making a far better one. The sorrow? Because they miss out on the pleasure of creative accomplishment. Even a simple 'record' shot can be a good record shot.

forgetting to check settings before I press the shutter!
the number of times you find that you were on the wrong aperture, the wrong shutter speed (or most common) the wrong ISO -- because you were shooting something different before.

My biggest pet peeve is when I see people with SLR cameras not supporting the base of the camera with the palm of their left hand when taking a picture.

is holding the zoom ring of the lens acceptable??

Let me check with the judges....

Yes, it is acceptable, but ONLY if you are keeping your left arm close to your chest and your thumb is on the left side of the lens as if you are making a "u" or "cup" shape with your hand. If your left arm is away from your body and you are making a "c" shape with your left hand (with your thumb on the bottom of your lens), then YES, that would be a pet peeve of mine, and you should be shot at dawn. At minimum, I'll release the hounds.

A pet peeve of mine is people taking pictures of the photographer and thinking it's hilarious. We get this frequently at weddings. What are they going to do with a picture of a photographer who isn't a guest and nobody really knows all that well? Oh well, I guess they can waste the shot if they want to.

My pet peeve is everyone taking the "rule of Thirds" so seriously! I cringe every time I read a response to someone's photo and they are told this nice shot, is too centered. Not ALL shots look good following the rule of thirds. Take a look through some photo books, especially by wildlife, and landscape photographers and take notice as to how many of their "Great" shots are not always following the "rule" of thirds. Rules are made to be broken - even in good photography, and I just wish that sometimes people would remember that. Thats my pet peeve.

A pet peeve of mine is people taking pictures of the photographer and thinking it's hilarious. We get this frequently at weddings. What are they going to do with a picture of a photographer who isn't a guest and nobody really knows all that well? Oh well, I guess they can waste the shot if they want to.

Ha! My pet peeve is no one ever takes pictures of the photographer.:lol:

My pet peeve is people calling my camera a point and shoot just because it doesn't have a removable lens. I use mine just as everyone else uses their dSLR's in full manual mode. In fact, I probably use mine in manual more than the entire collection of dSLR users because there are more people out there buying a dSLR because it's a "good camera" and using it in auto mode.

Point and shoot - no manual control and you have to point and shoot it.

My pet peeve is when my family members tell me what would be a good picture. "Hey Paul, why don't you take a picture of this old mail box?"

"Hey, look at that fountain, Paul. Isn't that pretty?"

"Hey, there's a dog turd of 3 different colors. Take a picture!"

AUZambo --see my post in the photographic discussions forum "how to deal with a back seat photographer" I Laughed when I read what you said your family does to you. Luckily for me its just my husband.

My pet peeve is everyone taking the "rule of Thirds" so seriously! I cringe every time I read a response to someone's photo and they are told this nice shot, is too centered. Not ALL shots look good following the rule of thirds. Take a look through some photo books, especially by wildlife, and landscape photographers and take notice as to how many of their "Great" shots are not always following the "rule" of thirds. Rules are made to be broken - even in good photography, and I just wish that sometimes people would remember that. Thats my pet peeve.

Ouch. Shot across the bow? :lol:

I'm guilty of this more than I'd like to admit.

I don't know if it's a pet peeve, or just disbelief - but the number of messages from new DSLR owners who just spent $1000 or far more on gear, yet they are totally clueless when it comes to the basics of exposure.

I don't know if it's a pet peeve, or just disbelief - but the number of messages from new DSLR owners who just spent $1000 or far more on gear, yet they are totally clueless when it comes to the basics of exposure.

Well, in our defense, I'll say that since I actually bought the entry-level DSLR and the entry-level prime, I'm only "mostly clueless" about exposure instead of "totally clueless." Maybe in a couple weeks I'll improve to "pretty clueless." :lol:
Iconcheers.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back