Pet Photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Rayanne, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Rayanne

Rayanne TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    hi there,
    i'm new to this forum, and i am interested in doing pet photography. i was just wondering what a person will need to get started doing professional photos. i just have my camera and not quite sure of all the equipment needed to get started. any and all help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
    here are a couple pics that i did at home with no lighting, just my camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well, assuming you're going to do studio work, then some more backgrounds (The orange kittens and orange backgrounds just doesn't work) and some lights. For doing pet photography, I wouldn't go for strobes, but rather continuous type of cool light, which will lessen the chance of 'spooking' the animals and giving you one shot only. http://alzodigital.com/online_store/selection_continuous_portrait_kits.htm Also, be careful of things like the cropped paw in #3.

3. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I guess we are in the same boat as I am looking to recreate a simple studio. Now here is what i have so far. Assuming you have a camera with a shoe for a strobe and a strobe. Below is a list I made for my self and I will explain what each piece of equipment does.

The flash sync cord connects the two Hot shoe adapters together. One adapter goes on the camera and the other goes onto the strobe. Then your light stand holds an umbrella and the flash with a swivel bracket. And you point the strobe into the umbrella and the light bounces back onto the subject. For backgrounds I pay a visit to the local craft store and pick up some cloth that's on the thicker side .

Flash Sync Cord $9
    Multipurpose Hotshoe Adapter $11
    Impact Light Stand $20
    Swivel Bracket $14
    33'' Umbrella $10

So please correct me if I'm mistaken about the process or items list, and I hope my suggestion helps you and others.

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like a good, basic setup, I'd suggest at least two strobes, but as I indcated to the OP, I don't recommend flash for indoor use with animals, since I suspect a lot of them would tend to become 'spooked'.

5. Rayanne

Rayanne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the advice. in that pic with the kittens the blanket was actually a beig color, not orange, just looks that way in the pic. easy to fix. i will definately look into getting a strobe, and i do want to get some more back drops. luckily enough i have an aunty who does photography. but other advice is nice too :)

6. Yemme

Yemme No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh they're so cute... I want one. I see what Tirediron is saying about the color scheme. Cool picture though. How do you keep them still?

7. bwlergh

bwlergh TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can get cheap fabric for backgrounds at a fabric store outlet. They usually have bins and bins worth of stuff and you can pick up a good load for under $5.

8. photographyaddict

photographyaddict TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is really cute. How did you get that puppy to reach out its one paw only? And I always find pets have extremely tiny attention spans. What's your secret?