Pet Portraiture

One Sister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the kind of stuff we do. Our customers like it, but I've never had a photog's critique. I hope you don't mind if I post a few of these along the way, as I'm new to TPF. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

ThrowMeSomethinMista.jpg

hmm.. This picture seems very grainy to me? Did you use a high ISO setting on this or something? Or was that the way the customers liked it?

f/16.0, 1/160, ISO-200

Uh oh. One of my fears is that I see something that others don't or that I don't see what others do...uhhhh, no, my customers did not want a grainy portrait, but I'm not seeing the grainy-ness. Do you mean on the background? 'Cause NO, no one wanted or wants grain in my studio, unless it's background noise, which sometimes provides a little extra texture to a photo. I might provide some effects later for my taste, but not in this instance, for sure.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yea, I see it too. It just looks like a lot of artifacts in the black background. Was this saved as a JPEG a few times?

Other than that, it looks like a decent shot.

what are you using for lighting...

This one was only saved once as a jpg. I see what you mean, though. I just printed it again and there were way less artifacts, but still discernible. On the other hand the tiff looks great to me.

Lighting: 1 AB B-1600 with 47" Octabox, 1 AB B-800 with Honeycomb grid and 1 SB 800 speed light pointed at a large reflector.

Set Up: Key from subject is left of center. Hair light (B-800) is to the right of subject and slightly behind. Speed light is camera mounted.

Thanks again for all the help.

ThrowMeSomethinMista.jpg

the dogs collar is on upside down.

Cute face, but the wrinkled background ruins it for me.

must be a difference in monitor settings. I can barely see the wrinkles or the grain on either of my monitors, but it is visible. I run into this problem when I edit images with a black background. The background will look very dark and when I see it on another monitor you can see all my edits. Looks horrible.

I think it's a great picture tho.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back