Phew....just finished first session! CC

I am talking about learning composition, not boring centered portraits. I am not saying not to do angled shots, I am saying even they require decent knowledge of composition to pull off well. Cutting heads is also fine if you understand when it works, and when it doesn't.

I look at plenty of photographers work, I also have friends for whom this is their business. So, in comparison, I go back to saying your compositions look arbitrary and not well thought out. But if that is your "style" have at it. Ignorance is, after all, bliss. I will refrain from critiqueing your work in the future, because it appears you already know better, and are only looking for a pat on the back.

I'm not gonna lie, I really dig the not so perfect portrait look. chopping of heads, different angles, not so centered compostion....to me it gives character and uniqueness. But to each his own I suppose. I do appreciate the critiques.

Heres a few more that some of you may feel is better composition wise.

DSC_0233-2 by CailinP, on Flickr

DSC_0277-2 by CailinP, on Flickr

DSC_0114-2 by CailinP, on Flickr

DSC_0094-2 by CailinP, on Flickr
I find the baby's eyes odd in that the mother's have not been treated so it gives an odd feeling. Kinda supernatural.

Every photographer has their own style. I don't think doing something "against" the rules is amateur. I may be a beginner and not have all the knowledge but I know what my own "style" is. If thats not someone else's style then they don't have to ask me to do photos for them. I am not a fan of posed, centered, perfect little portraits. To me instead of screaming amateur is screams boring. Take awhile to browse different websites of photographers, there are plenty who chop heads, have off kilter angles...etc. I'm not looking to be by the books perfect. I want something different and unique to myself.
Come back a year from now and give yourself another assesment. You may change your tune. Chances are that those who have broken the rules and spit out 'good images' either understood why they were breaking convention or were just lucky. Their body of work will say more than any of us can.

Your images have a substance. They don't stop me in my tracks, but they are certainly on a path to finding your vision. Subtlety is the watchword.

Every photographer has their own style. I don't think doing something "against" the rules is amateur. I may be a beginner and not have all the knowledge but I know what my own "style" is. If thats not someone else's style then they don't have to ask me to do photos for them. I am not a fan of posed, centered, perfect little portraits. To me instead of screaming amateur is screams boring. Take awhile to browse different websites of photographers, there are plenty who chop heads, have off kilter angles...etc. I'm not looking to be by the books perfect. I want something different and unique to myself.

Although I totally agree with you, the tilting thing is so in today that it is boring. It does scream boring in my head. And when I have to tilt my head to look at the image, it is a fail. The only tilted images that work for me are the ones that don't require me to tilt my head.

Other than that I like your work. Keep on trucking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back