Photo Assignment #1 - Composition Strategies

When I took these photos I didn't even know what "rule of odds" was. In fact, it wasn't until after I posted them here that I learned what it really meant.

I'm currently taking a digital photography class at the local CC, but before this I had never taken any sort of photography class. I kind of wish that I had some sort of basic photo class behind me. I'm learning how to edit in this class, but very little in the form of composition. Heck, it was my 17 year old son who had to tell me about the rule of thirds.

rambler said:
Helpful comments, Compaq and you found some wow photos. SitNorm, thanks for sharing your photos. You are off to a fast start! I hope you had at least a month to complete that assignment. Don't think I will worry much about the "rule of odds".

Nope - it was a week to do this assignment!

If I may - why don't you think you will worry about the rule of odds much? It pretty much means that images with an odd number of elements is more pleasing to the eyes.
This is something I learned in Culinary school as well. 3 Cherry Tomatoes on a salad is more aesthetically pleasing than 2 or 4.

I'm going to give this assignment a try. A week you say...ok, I'll start tomorrow.

I had never heard about the rule of odds, but now when I look over some old photos of mine I get what you mean by that... That is quite interesting if you ask me!

I want to try this myself. I've never done something like this, it would be a good learning experience!

I'll play.

This first pic is of Woodard Bay. I tried to incorporate a few of the ten composition strategies. Rule of odds, Symmetry and Color.

Woodard Bay by Situation Normal, on Flickr

What do y'all think? C+C welcome.

Can someone please explain where the "Rule of odds, Symmetry and Color" is in this picture?

why don't you think you will worry about the rule of odds much? It pretty much means that images with an odd number of elements is more pleasing to the eyes.
Rule of Odds - frame subject with even number of elements on each side

Are even numbers pleasing or odd numbers?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back