Photo assignment Paralympics Rio

Things here are starting to move forward now. They have had pretty much everything shut down to the media, including today when I got thrown out of the second venue I went to shoot in. It was sneaking in the workers entrance to get inside the venues. I did manage to shoot about 10 minutes of the Canadians training in the Velodrome before training ended. I had decided to walk the 45 minutes to the venue and back just to see how safe I would feel. I had no worries and felt comfortable with the surroundings, although the heat and humidity is draining. Media transportation starts up tomorrow so that will a difference, hoping to shoot some of the swimmers in the morning. So far it's been pretty smooth. The only other thing was being scanned going into to Olympic park and scanned on the way out, not sure why.

My travel adventure from yesterday. Had to go to the main press centre to pick up with photo bid and register. Media bus from my hotel was on time, trip took 20 minutes, in and out of the MPC 15 minutes, ask the transportation people which bus is going to my hotel, I even showed them the name, which I had typed out before I left home, point me to the bus, ask the driver, thumbs up, 45 minutes later we are going in the wrong direction, then the driver pulls to the side of the road and the bus is broken. I show him the name of my hotel again and he points in the opposite direction, 40 minutes later a replacement bus picks me and I go back to the MPC, where I do find the right bus. My one hour travel day lasted four hours, had to run to my room grab my gear and a taxi now to head to the athletes village for a shoot. Skipped lunch and dinner. What's life without a transportation issue.

Here are a few fun shots from yesterday: They had some dancers at the village flag raising ceremony. Night shot is from my hotel and a cop on every corner.

I particularly like the one of the swimmer thru the spokes. And the shots of riders on the bikes are pretty darn cool.

A few favourites from today. Opening ceremony tomorrow. For those that may be interested, I walked 14km(8.6miles) 35 lb backpack, 90 degrees, between venues, this seems to be the daily average. Swimming venue is the size of an NHL hockey arena, seats 15,000, also temporary, I believe the selling price is $14 million if anyone is interested in buying it. Cost $38 million to build.

Two days in and it's becoming an exercise in frustration, not with shooting but working with the schedule person I'm working with, she's new and seems to think that pictures appear without thought or preparation. She is a spread sheet fanatic, revising them all day. She seems to think that it's easy running to a venue and shooting one athlete, running 30 minutes to the next another athlete and back to the original venue for someone else. Many of the photo positions are closed prior to the event. I have tried to explain this, and in the end, just did my own thing,

Amazing work!

Capturing a lot of emotion there! Thats what its all about.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back