Photo backpack for travelling

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know, another camera bag question. We haven't had one for a bit now :)

I did some back post searching and couldn't find much.
Here is my situation. My wife and I are headed off to Australia in early 2010. Leaving for 1 month.

I currently have 2 camera bags, none of which will suit me while down under. I don't want to bring my Lowepro Slingshot as its only has 1 shoulder strap which will kill my back after a while. I also have a side / belt bag I use to carry accessories when doing events and such, and that again is a no.

I would need a backpack (so 2 straps) that can hold my gear and allow for a certain amount of other storage...a lunch, wallet, water bottle, book, rain jacket, and so on. Being able to hold a 15" laptop would be great too.
The gear I will bring with me is listed in my signature but consists of my XSI, grip, 3 lenses (10-22, 28-75 and if I don't purchase anything else, a 50-200). I'll probably also bring my 430 EXII flash with me.

I'll also have a tripod, so a secure tripod carry thingy would be great.

The only one I have been able to find that is close to what I need is the Tamrac Adventure 9 series, or heck, even the 10.
The Official Tamrac Homepage - The leading manufacturer and distributor of camera, photography and camcorder bags

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I currently use a CamelBak H.A.W.G for my current camera Bag. It holds even my tripod, lenses, camera and also all the cords, cards and filters for me. A little room is left over if I care to also put some water bottles or small lunch in it. It also doesn't LOOK like a camera bag.

I also have a Bugout Bag from Piper Gear. I got this while I was in the Army Guard.

Both of these bags are heavy duty, and are carry-on luggage. I have used both as my travel bag for the army which requires me to be able to live out of for at least three days.

Since I have retired, I have taken some of the Foam expansion material for concrete work and made the dividers that are found in so many of the common camera bags. Currently, mine are only made out of the foam and duct tape, but it works. I want to sew up some nice covers and put some velcro on them for easy reconfiguring. I just have not gotten around to it.

I have not made up my Bugout for the camera as I am happy with the results out of the CamelBak. IF I want, I can put a 3 L water bag into it and carry the water that way also. I would recommend placing it inside a plastic bag though to protect the camera equipment.

The CamelBak does not completely open up like the Bugout does. The fully opening cover is nice to have to put your lenses on as you change them. So far, I just use the top of the Camelbak or the top area where the camera normally goes to put the lenses as I change them.

The Bugout bag is about twice the size of the CamelBak. So it will carry a LOT more gear. Enough so, you might get it too heavy to carry. I know I could easily fit it out to carry both my dSLR and Film SLR equipment inside one bag if I wanted to.

Since I already own these bags, I am not likely to buy anything in the very near future.

If I were to get something, the Adventure 9 sure would be on the top of my list.

I have the Lowepro Computrekker AW, it sounds like it would fit your needs. I've traveled all over the world with mine and it's been pretty good for me.

It should easily hold that gear and it has a laptop sleeve and a front compartment for other items. It does have a tripod holder (pocket and bungies) but I've never liked to carry a tripod on the bag and prefer to use a separate tripod bag...although I do keep a small 'Ultra Pod II' in the bottom of the bag.

The straps are pretty comfortable and it has belt & chest straps. The 'AW' rain cover is pretty good, it saved me a couple times in Costa Rica.

The one thing I don't like about it, is how bulky it is. When full, it's a pretty big mass that sticks off of your back. I might prefer a slimmer (and taller/wider) style backpack like the NaturTrekker series bags. Also, the access can be awkward, especially compared to a sling style bag.

I've been giving the Lowepro Flipside a hard look. Not sure yet which size yet. I like it because, I too, want double shoulder straps which the Slingshot doesn't have. I realize that with a back pack, dismounting to gain access is most likely. The bonus of the Flipside is that you gain access from the side that is on YOUR back. So when you remove the pack and lay it on the rain soaked ground (not too likely in Oz) and then put it on again, the mud will not coat your shirt. If in crowded areas (bus, train, city market) the pinchers (thieves) can not get to your camera. Plus it's a Lowepro and has the AW cover.

Just my 2¢.

I have the computrekker plus AW. Its big, but it holds a lot of gear.

One thing I can tell you is to watch yourself on size. Get too big and you'll beat yourself up for it later. I have one bag ... it's sitting behind me in a closet and I think I've used it 2x. It holds nearly everything I own, but good lord it's freakin' way too big. :lol:

That computrekker looks nice... might be a big big for my preferences. I'd like one of the ones that holds 1 body, a couple lenses and a flash and some minor accessories and then has a pocket for "normal stuff".

Currently I have one of the teeny backpacks that holds the camera and 2 lenses and I actually use that one quite a bit, but I think it's too small for a trip such as you are describing.

I know I'm not being overly specific- sorry- too tired to go dig up the bags right now, but hopefully you get the general point.

If you decide to go with the Adventure 10 be aware if you have not seen it in person this is a MASSIVE bag. I am planning on buying it soon but the main reason I am doing so is to be able to carry my 70-200 2.8VR. I have never seen the AD9 in person but unless you have a big lens you can probably get away with that one.

I would agree with what Manaheim says. Go too big, and it sits in the corner. I know my bugout bag I mention above does.

IF you are bringing the amount of equipment you are talking about. Another "option" you might want to consider.

Get a Hardcase such as a Pelican case and put your camera equipment in that.

Welcome to www.pelican.com Pelican™ Products - Manufacturer of high-impact, watertight equipment Protector™ Cases and safety approved, technically advanced flashlights

They are lockable, and VERY rugged. Enough so, I would trust a $2500 match rifle with a $1000 scope in an aircraft with it. We used these in the Army for just about every piece of sensitive equipment or device we had that we wanted protected. Shoot, you could DRIVE on them if you wanted to.

Get the right case and it even comes with wheels on it.

Then get a smaller pack for either a carry on, or else a 1-day or 3-day pack.

Last edited:
thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated.

I do plan on visiting a few stores to try things out,but always good to have a heads up as to what to look for :)

That computrekker looks nice... might be a big big for my preferences. I'd like one of the ones that holds 1 body, a couple lenses and a flash and some minor accessories and then has a pocket for "normal stuff".

that's exactly what the Tamrac AeroSpeed is. 1 body w/70-200 f/2.8, 3 additional lenses, a flash, and another small space for even another lens like a 50mm prime or something random. plus plenty of pockets, a "regular pocket" and a laptop pocket for up to 17" laptop. and it's actually no bigger than a standard backpack

that's exactly what the Tamrac AeroSpeed is. 1 body w/70-200 f/2.8, 3 additional lenses, a flash, and another small space for even another lens like a 50mm prime or something random. plus plenty of pockets, a "regular pocket" and a laptop pocket for up to 17" laptop. and it's actually no bigger than a standard backpack

DING!!!!

That one looks PERFECT. Exactly what I was looking for (and exactly what I think OP would need), and cheap too!

Awesome!

I'm adding that to my list. woot. Thanks, man!

The Tamrac Aero 3385 definatly is looking good. I'll have to check it out to see.
I'm a fan of Lowepro's AW feature. If it rains, just pull out the cover. But hey, can't have it all can ya.

I would thank you, but seems that I can't thank people in this thread anymore :(

I have the Lowepro Flipside 300 but I don't think it would be big enough, maybe the 400? FWIW, not all the Flipsides have the cover (wish mine did), but so far it hasn't been an issue (knock on wood).

It's a great backpack and I highly recommend it if you find one that meets your needs. When you flip it around it's like a workbench for swapping gear around, very convenient!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back