Photo Booths

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
From another forum that I post on:

I have a birthday party for a club owner at the end of the month. He's a friend of mine and I shoot his party every year. I did a smaller anniversary/Halloween party for a friend of mine the first weekend of November and everyone loved it. The issue is that even though that one was automated, it was set up so the photos were just in camera. They were edited and delivered to the couple to share after the party.

My basic setup was a camera on a tripod, a flash with beauty dish to light, and Pocket Wizards. One Pocket Wizard was set up for the guest to press the button then the timer on the camera would start and a photo would be taken.

How do I make this automated so the guest can see the photos and possibly send the photos to their FB, Twitter, Instagram, Etc? I have laptops and iPad, but I would prefer for the users to use an iPad fixed some where because I have a pretty sturdy case on in and a screen protector and would feel safer with a touch interface than having partygoers (who will be drinking, it's at a bar) trying to mess with a computer program, keyboard, and mouse.

So any suggestions on how to go about this?

I got everything working together with the trial.

dslrBooth was controlling the Nikon D750 and either let me trigger via the computer or via the camera. From there, it took 4 photos. After that it sent it to the Fotoshare app on the iPad with just the regular network connected. No Eye Fi card or camera network connection was needed.

The down sides: Everything costs money. This isn’t a onetime program/app purchase as I was led to believe. You can send the file via SMS/e-mail/air drop/FB/Twitter on the computer but to do SMS, you at least need a subscription through Twilio. That’s a cost based on how many messages you send, IIRC. With the iPad app you can do the same, but you need to subscribe to a different service through dslrBooth through the app store. That’s $8.00 a month and that’s for sending anything. It works right now, but with each message you send, it says you need to subscribe and has it real large across the top of the app. That’s even with e-mail, air drop, etc… I can kind of understand the texting charge (but there should be an option to let you use your own number and not make you go through their selected 3rd party service) but the fact that it’s gaudy and says it requires a subscription for e-mail, FB, twitter, and air-drop is something that turns me off.

Has anyone had experience with similar software that doesn’t charge to send photos over media that should be free like e-mail, air-drop (that’s just Bluetooth after all), FB, etc?

What about Lightroom Mobile? From what I read on a Kelby article about it, you could try having your laptop tethered to the camera, LR Mobile on your iPad and it syncs from the computer to the iPad via WIFI. Then the photos could be emailed from LR Mobile to wherever the partygoer wanted....Theoretically, of course.

How user friendly is LR mobile? With the Fotoshare program it only allows users access to the photos from the photo booth program and has several large icons across the screen of the available sending options.

How user friendly is LR mobile? With the Fotoshare program it only allows users access to the photos from the photo booth program and has several large icons across the screen of the available sending options.
Not sure, I would have it but my iPad is the first generation and doesn't support it. I would think that you might be able to configure it to basically be a long press or press to select the photo and then press a share button but I don't have any experience to back that up.

Yeah, sorry I don't have more info/experience. It's just a resource that I would like to have and thought that it might be viable for your situation. Maybe not though...Just a thought! If you figure out a solution that gives you everything you're looking for I'd love to hear it! Photo booths seem like a great way to generate some income!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back