Photo composition.

photoman720

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. I think ive become very close to nailing the technical part of photography(most of it at least) but composition has always been tough for me. Any good websites, books, tips for me? I am only 15 so I have time to learn! Thank you so much!!!!!!

Image composition goes well beyond photography....you might consider studying classic painters, for example.

Personally, I've been interested in the Gestalt Theory and how it relates to composition. Here is a nice little explanation... http://www.apogeephoto.com/mag1-6/mag2-3mf.shtml

Look at great photographs and painting and try to figure out for yourself what makes them great and what elements they have in common. It's really the only way to truly learn it. But if you learn it by rules you hear spouted around here, be prepared to find out how little you really learned. There is no chart or table like there is for fstops or shutter speeds. X is not always X in composition. Even if the rules makes you think it is. Put in your time looking at great shots, then post your work here in the galleries and let people comment. If you have figured out what you are doing you will know which comments are on target and which are hot air.

There are a bunch of links to composition articles at http://photoinf.com/

If you have the opportunity to take college classes sign up for a design class. It's usually one of the first requisite classes in the art department.

Composition for what end? Product photography, portraits, architectural? All of these can be studied and mastered.

If you want to produce Art, you are going to have to study yourself. You need to know what makes you feel the strongest and what it looks like so that you can show someone else. The only rule for art is that you make someone else feel something- they don't have to like it, but they do have to feel it. ;)

mike

If you want to see some great composition, Google Johannes Vermeer, and look at some of his images.

Most reactions

Back