Photo Credit

eddiesimages

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eddiesimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Where can I find some information about a photographer's rights and the law? Specifically, my employer is using my work and placing it on their website and other brochures without giving me credit for the photo. Since it's my employer that's doing it, I just want to get some information and be well informed before I approach them about this situation.

Did you take them as part of your job or are they your personal photos? If the former, they probably have the rights as a work-for-hire (but you'd have to check your work contract). If the latter, the rights are yours.

Since you are talking about specifics, it would be best to talk to a lawyer.

Yea, they're taken as a part of my job. I just feel that I should be getting credit for the photos, though, especially since they are being used on the website and in other company newspapers, brochures etc. It's not something I really want to push, since I need to stay employed. Just wanted to have my ducks in a row before approaching them about it. Thanks for your input.

From what I've seen, it's not very common to get credit unless you own the copyright. Many employment contracts state that anything you develop, invent, etc., on company time belongs to the company, and that would probably include any photos taken. Since they consider it their property, they probably don't feel the need to give any credit, which they might see as an ego thing in this case. Copyright notification is a very important thing when you publish a photo, but it's more about stating ownership than what you might think of as "credit".

I commiserate though. It sucks when you can't get credit for something you've done. There have been times when I've wished that I could put my name on a particularly cool program I've coded, but the only thing on there is the company name.

If it is an advertising photo then the only place people see my name and url is in the file info of the photo. If its editorial I always make sure my name is in the byline.

If the work is shot for a company that employs you then the work is their property. Credits and bylines are only a courtesy. That is the way I see it. The laws may be different.

I think if you really want to keep your job sticking your legal rights as a photographer in your bosses face is probably not a good idea.

Exactly, JIP. I was trying to ask in a friendly manner, but hopefully have some legal right to fall back on. Guess you all are right and I'll live with it. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back