Photo destinations near Scotsdale, AZ

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to be in Scotsdale the last week of March. Does anyone have any recommendations on locations for landscape and astro within an hours drive from Scotsdale?

Not sure how far Scotsdale is from Phoenix, but the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix are awesome.

I'm going to be in Scotsdale the last week of March. Does anyone have any recommendations on locations for landscape and astro within an hours drive from Scotsdale?
It's sort of on the East side, so drive east. It's not far 'till you get to some open land. The desert might be still blooming around March, but even if it's not, you will still get some shots.

For astro, head north out of the PHX area on I-17 and up into the mountains, say about where highway 69 branches off at Cordes Junction.

It's sort of on the East side, so drive east. It's not far 'till you get to some open land. The desert might be still blooming around March, but even if it's not, you will still get some shots.
Do you mean just drive east out of the Phoenix area until it opens up?

For astro, head north out of the PHX area on I-17 and up into the mountains, say about where highway 69 branches off at Cordes Junction.
I see that on the map. Looks doable. Is there anywhere in particular you would suggest or just anywhere I can find a secluded spot? I see there are some roads that lead off into the mountains, do you have any idea of they are improved roadways?

Do you mean just drive east out of the Phoenix area until it opens up?
Get Highway 87 right there in Scottsdale. 15 minutes will get you out of the metro.

More mountains and "scenery" up that highway, and more just plain desert to the south. We go to Maricopa once a year, about 15 miles south of the metro area (Chandler).

Take I-10 south, then 347 to Maricopa. In Maricopa, get 238 west to get into the Sonoran Desert National Monument.

Scenery both ways.

Last edited:
The road to Arcosanti looks to still be dirt.
It also provides a somewhat different photography subject letting you kill 2 birds with 1 trip if you want to do so.
Google Maps

The sky will be darker to the east than to the west until about 2 hours after sunset. There will be less light pollution if you shoot facing away from the Phoenix area light pollution dome.

South of Phoenix is Tucson, so there is a light pollution dome that way and an hour drive south takes you 1/2 way to Tucson.

Last edited:
Check out the superstition mountains. About an hours drive from Scottsdale some great hiking and beautiful scenery there. This picture was taken at the end of one of the trail heads to Weavers Needle. I also ran into another photographer setting up camp for the night to get some milky way shots. Seemed to me there would be some light pollution but probably still some decent opportunities.

I know bad composition but you get the idea.
Weavers Needle by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

Highway 60 east. First you pass the Superstitions, then you go over the Gonzales Pass and end up in Superior. Old mining town with a historic downtown. Very scenic mountains around. Queen Creek Canyon, which has a hiking trail, is directly to the east. Boyce Thompson Arboretum, a large botanical garden, is just to the west. All about an hour's drive or less from Scottsdale. If you check my galleries, you can get an idea of what the area looks like.

For near civilization places, I'd suggest the lower salt river area. Below Stewart mountain dam there is riparian area and some wild horses can occasionally be seen. It's east of Scottsdale but not far. Behind the dam is saguaro lake and tonto n.f. (Understand, water is exotic in Az.) North of S'dale are the McDowell mountains which are quite scenic, as are all the mountain parks. Lots of golf resorts and pricy shopping in Scottsdale proper, also Spring Baseball will be winding down. Have fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back