Photo Editing Assistance?

Aedai

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a family friend that had photographs of their family taken during Christmas time... the images come back... uhm, they're awful to say the least (just look down). So I was asked if I could work some magic and get these photos presentable.

1) I am not a professional photographer (I wish!) I'm a hobbyist.
2) I'm quite handy at Photoshop though I specialize in things like business cards (again, NOT a photo editor)
3) I have no idea what I'm doing but hopefully have enough Photoshop experience to get these images looking decent? (I hope)

Okay so obvious problems with this photo
No one was happy about the pictures being taken except that lovely lady. They're awkwardly posed. The background is very busy. The lighting...

A bit of a back story, the lady in the picture wanted a family picture and asked her sons ahead of time to book a photographer. They forgot so someone with a camera came on by. She really wanted a studio shot so I tried to make it look like they were in a studio... And probably failed.

And this is my edit:

What would you have done differently? (Editing wise anyway... don't hurt me for the awful picture, I didn't take it :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post a link. As a side note, it's generally considered VERY unethical to "edit" the work of another photographer without the express permission of that photographer!

It was my mother who took the photos... And she took the photos on one of my cameras at that. Can I still post them? She has handed over all the photos to me. I can get written permission if necessary but I really do "own" these photos technically.

Okay I have been given permission to repost the pictures. Thank you staff for allowing this and also thank you for looking out for everyone! I know what it's like to have work stolen and I LOVE that you guys are all on top of things like this!

Alright here we go:

Before_zpsk50dsqhp.jpg

FamShotNew-2_zpsaahstsmu.jpg

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!
*as a side note, I have both Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 5 that I can use to edit.

I just want these pictures to come out nice and don't know where to turn. :/

Well, a single straight-on flash is always going to have a harsh, flat look. Switching the background is only going to emphasize that, especially since that background was lit with at least two lights, one left and one right. I think you actually did a fairly nice job with the switch. You've softened the harsh contrast; brought out some detail in the dark clothes and softened the harsh highlights.

But if a family wants a holiday picture, perhaps they could try to appear as if they were enjoying the holiday???? Nobody's dressed for it and all the guys appear to wish they were somewhere else, and there's no editing that.....

I would do one of those, put the people in one of those snow globe shots, cover up those expressions with some snow and santa hats. Or put them out on a frozen lake where those expressions would be more apt.

Maybe manipulate the guys mouths into more of a smile. They actually look like me when I get my photo taken. I like taking photos, not being in them.

I really do "own" these photos technically.
Legally, you only "own" the photos if your mother has signed and given to you a document known as a copyright transfer that states she is transfering copyright ownership from her to you.

In lieu of that, your mother can give you a document known as a use license, whereby she retains copyright but grants you usage rights.
A use license is kind of like a copyright rental agreement.

U.S. Copyright Office

Well, a single straight-on flash is always going to have a harsh, flat look. Switching the background is only going to emphasize that, especially since that background was lit with at least two lights, one left and one right. I think you actually did a fairly nice job with the switch. You've softened the harsh contrast; brought out some detail in the dark clothes and softened the harsh highlights.

But if a family wants a holiday picture, perhaps they could try to appear as if they were enjoying the holiday???? Nobody's dressed for it and all the guys appear to wish they were somewhere else, and there's no editing that.....

RIGHT You would THINK they'd at least pretend. It took them an hour to stop huffing like little kids. I'm glad I'm on the right track.

I would do one of those, put the people in one of those snow globe shots, cover up those expressions with some snow and santa hats. Or put them out on a frozen lake where those expressions would be more apt.

I would do that but I don't think that's the kind of photo they're hoping for. :/ I think she (aka the only person in the photo who is smiling) wants something a bit more classic-y ish. I don't know how to describe it. They're not particularly "fun" people but I might toy with this suggestion anyway just to see.

Maybe manipulate the guys mouths into more of a smile. They actually look like me when I get my photo taken. I like taking photos, not being in them.

I kind of tried that but it looks really fake. Any suggestions on how I could get it to look more realistic?

ALSO does anyone have an suggestions on where to get good digital backdrops? I'm not entirely sure I like the current one. Preferably something free or fairly cheap. I don't want to spend all of my time and money on something because I'm getting nothing out of it. >.>

Most reactions

Back