Photo editing software ?'s

CRman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, since all I really use is Picassa2 I want to know where to go next. I was sent a "copy"
rolleyes.gif
of PS7 and have no idea how to use it. Its just used up hard drive space.....

I have heard Lightroom is a great starter program. Easy learning curve and such... Who here has it and can give me the pros and cons? Limitations? so forth...

Any other good editing software for Say $500 +/- My new computer (finally!!!!!). I want toys on it! $500 may sound cheap to some here but its a starter for someone owning a DSLR for only 3 months and is hooked.... cant tell by my photos
sad.gif
but I am loving it. I am saving the rest of my money for some good glass! Figure its a smart thing. The thing has plenty of room as in 1 TB of hard drive!
afro.gif
So space isnt an issue. Just trhough oout a few programs I can research and if you wish, share your likes and dislikes of them.

Thanks,

Marc

Why not just get a book on PS7 since you already have it?

If you buy another application you'd have to learn that one too.

PS is way overkill and overcomplicated. I use DxO and love it. Interface is a bit clunky, but once you get the hang of it it's awesome. Best of all it's only about $150. It's setup for batch processing a bunch of images at once and not really tweaking a single image at a time.

There are a number of Pros out there that still use PS7, whatschyerbeef?

Paintshop -whichever- is under $200, the GIMP is free.

If you just want to spend $500 and don't want to pony up for CS3, send me a PM and I'll arrange for you to send me the $500 for an Extra special Post Production package that will keep you busy for years. ;)

My advice (really) is to get the gimp (as you don't seem yo want to learn PS7) and spend the 5 bills on a lens.

there is Corel, or photo elements , both under 100 dollars.

Stick with the Photoshop or as ann mentioned, Photoshop Elements. Elements is a condensed version of photoshop with all you need to edit photos. The full versions can do some really stupid advanced stuff which can look intimidating. The reason for the suggestion for photoshop by many people before me here is because it works really well and is the most popular choice. And being the most popular choice, there are threads on this forum to help you out and many more resources online, not to mention a whack of tutorials online too.

Although I don't like Adobe as a company I have to say that Lightroom is nice. It's quick and does 95% of what I want to do. A friend who is a Photoshop fanatic came over to give me pointers on post-processing. Since he'd never used Lightroom I took a selected set of photos with specific problems and did what I would normally do. He was surprised at how quick it was. He said he could do the same thing with PS but it would sure take longer.

What can be done is just part of the issue. PS does almost everything if you learn how to do it. But, ease of use, speed, and workflow are an issue, too.

Next "answer" please....

Can you tell us what is a satisfactory answer? What do you want to hear?

No matter what software you get, whether it's "free" or high-end, you will have to learn to use it.

Photoshop is probably the most well-known photo editing software and you have it for free. Learn to use it.

Lightroom probably has more features then PS7, but then you still have to learn to use it.

Get some used books and save rest of the $500 for better lens.

Kelby (Scott?) has a couple of easy "how-to" Photoshop books. It's very easy reading. May not be entertaining for advanced users, but was perfect for a newb like myself. I have PS Elements, but have the Photoshop version (used) - minor differences, but methodology is the same.

Sooner or later, you WILL start to use Photoshop. It is the best... period.

If you are not using all the features, but "have it", I feel that you are just wanting to waste money and time not learning.

You will learn it later whether you want to or not, once you get a bit more advanced, and the time you spent playing with all these other apps and learning them is basically wasted time.

If you can spend $500, go spend $50 on 2 books and learn it. You can thank the people here later.

Sooner or later, you WILL start to use Photoshop. It is the best... period.

If you are not using all the features, but "have it", I feel that you are just wanting to waste money and time not learning.

You will learn it later whether you want to or not, once you get a bit more advanced, and the time you spent playing with all these other apps and learning them is basically wasted time.

If you can spend $500, go spend $50 on 2 books and learn it. You can thank the people here later.
blah! :mrgreen:

I have some friends who are PS gurus that are blown away with programs like DxO. There are things that DxO does with the click of a button that some of my PS guru friends don't even know how they'd start to do in PS, and even if they could figure it out it'd take a ton longer. Now those same PS gurus consider DxO just as indispensible and use the two side by side.

PS is the best, if you're a graphic designer or otherwise plan to heavily tweak your images. If not, there are a lot of programs out there that are far cheaper, do things far more quickly, and are a whole heckuva lot easier to use, too.

Okay, here's what I'd do ...

Buy both Lightroom and Photoshop Elements 6. (If you're a Mac user, wait a couple of weeks until Elements 6 comes out for Mac).

You sound really enthusiastic about this, so I strongly recommend that you spend a little time learning just the basics of Photoshop once you get it. Most people get so overwhelmed with what it CAN do that they never get control of the basic things you MUST do. I have a tutorial on it when you're ready to learn the basics.

I know you're getting a lot of information here about other programs. But the simple truth is that Adobe (and Photoshop) define the image management industry. Why not start out with and learn to use the real thing?

There's a great article in the March issue of Photoshop User magazine about how to use Lightroom and Photoshop together to create a good workflow. It's designed more for pros ... but the basic steps are true for all of us. BTW, this mag is published for members of NAPP, I'm not sure it's available in stores. (Check photoshopuser.com for info)

Meanwhile, the Help files in the PS 7 you already have can get you started. But don't be confused by the numbers. Photoshop 7 is four generations old, the technology and features have gone WAY beyond that. Photoshop Elements 6 is brand new.

I know you're getting a lot of information here about other programs. But the simple truth is that Adobe (and Photoshop) define the image management industry. Why not start out with and learn to use the real thing?
1. Because all of that Adobe software is super expensive.
2. Because lots of beginners are young here and might not have the money for that, and I'm sure you're not suggesting they "obtain" illegal copies. ;)
3. Because in a lot of cases it's way more than you need.
4. Because that money might be better spent on another lens or some accessories for starters.
5. Because depending on your personal approach to photography, other non-Adobe programs out there that do things differently might work FAR better for you at a much lower and more affordable cost.
6. PaintShop Pro for Windows does 90% of what PS does and even uses PS plug-ins at a fraction of the cost.
7. GIMP and GIMPshop (drives just like PS) is *FREE* and more than enough for someone to get started before deciding if they want to invest in very expensive professional software.

Between PSE, DxO, and GIMP I have everything I need to do covered for under $300. If I still ran Windows I'd still be running Paint Shop Pro (instead of GIMP) which is great for under $100.

My approach to photography is much more a "capturer" and much less a "manipulator/editor". I like things to come off the camera looking as close to perfect as possible and prefer to do as little manipulating as possible. I shoot lots and make only minimal adjustments to most images. For the more manipulative type photog who might spend hours fiddling with and adjusting a single image, I would wholeheartedly encourage them to go all out and get Photoshop, even if it's a slightly older version to save some money. For that sort of work, nothing beats PS. :)

Lightroom is definitely a good program, but you need photoshop or elements to compliment it.

Lightroom is mainly used for overall photo editing, exposure, light, etc. while photoshop would be needed for things such as spot editing in the photo, spots, dust and scratches, adjusting specific areas of the photo.

Lightroom does have an easy learning curve, very good library and photo tagging, allowing meta changes etc. The develop area is where all the photo editing takes place and since you can edit JPEGS like you would a RAW file, its very simple, everything needed to edit is in one column. Its got a good slide show and print area as well but my favorite is the Gallery section. It enables you to make custom html or flash galleries with more templates available for download. it does all the work for you all you need to is drag the files over to your server or web hosting and you have a gallery up and running.

Since everything can basically be done in photoshop (lightroom is just way easier) i would get used to doing some basic edits in photoshop, and then look into getting lightroom.

I second learning ps7. i was given a copy of it and its super confusing for me but i got a few books that are helping me navigate it and use it easier. i can give you the book names if you're interested.
That would surely cost less than buying a new program that you'd still have to learn anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back