Photo Editing Software Suggestions

Deker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm considering getting some better quality photo editing software. I was told by a really good portrait photographer that good editing software is a much for a digital photographer besides quality lens. She highly recommended Adobe Photoshop CS4 but I'm operating on a college student budget and I cannot afford to shell out $500 on photo editing software.

Does anyone know of any good low cost (less than $250) alternatives to Photoshop CS4 or should I just bite the bullet and pay $500 for Photoshop? I'm currently using Picasa and I find the tools there are quite limiting.

You should be able to get educational licensing for Photoshop CS4 for under $200. If not look into Lightroom 2.

You should be able to get educational licensing for Photoshop CS4 for under $200. If not look into Lightroom 2.

+1 or you could get elements for $70

It kind of depends on how powerful of software you want. Photoshop is about as powerful as it gets, but what are you looking to use it for? Most of the time, I only use Adobe Lightroom, as do many other people (which is about $300 retail, but can be had cheaper for students). I find that I rarely use photoshop. Unless you're looking to REALLY alter your shots or get very detailed with cloning and things, Lightroom is most likely plenty. I'd suggest trying the trial version of Lightroom 2, or, Lightroom 3 is in Beta and available for free for a few months.

That's true about Elements... I used it at work the other day and was pretty surprised at how robust that application is for the price.
I only use PS because I like the interface and workflow of Bridge more than Lightroom

I'm considering getting some better quality photo editing software. I was told by a really good portrait photographer that good editing software is a much for a digital photographer besides quality lens. She highly recommended Adobe Photoshop CS4 but I'm operating on a college student budget and I cannot afford to shell out $500 on photo editing software.

Does anyone know of any good low cost (less than $250) alternatives to Photoshop CS4 or should I just bite the bullet and pay $500 for Photoshop? I'm currently using Picasa and I find the tools there are quite limiting.
As a higher education student, Adobe will give you substantial discounts. How about 80% off Adobe CS4 Extended or Lightroom 2 for $99.

Little List - don't know prices though:
Photoshop - all versions
Lightroom
ACDSee
Picasa
DxO
GiMP - free
Aperture.
Some sites allow you to do minor editing if you are using them as your host.
CaptureNX (since you are using Nikon according to your profile).

Does anyone here use gimp?

I mean, it is free...

I use Gimp- it's a fairly powerful piece of software. It's open source, meaning it's free. Give it a try before buying ANYTHING.

Check out NX2..it has a 30 day trial and in your price range

I still use (an older version of) Paint Shop Pro, which works great for me. The newer versions are presumably even better, and priced very competitively.
Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 - Photo Editing

GIMP is free and powerful, although I find it a little less user friendly than the alternatives. Given it's price, though, you'd be mad not to check it out if you're on a budget. You should find plenty of tutorials for it in a quick web search.

Most reactions

Back