Photo editing software

Give PaintShop Pro a try... It's so much cheaper than Photoshop, but I've not yet run into anything it can't do that PS can in my 30 day trial...

Wow.

I used PSP years ago when I was also using PS. I can honestly say I have NEVER heard anyone compare the two as equals on any level. :lmao:

Not saying it's a bad product. I'm sure it does the basics very well. But so does PS.

Well, for graphic design, they aren't equal by any means. But for typical photo editing (Curves, color balance, contrast, cloning, sharpening, use with tablet) they are on similar grounds.

As for as "Well I'm sure it does the basics well, but so does PS"... So:

PS CS4 ($570.99) does the basics well.
PSP ($60) does the basics well.

If you're going to ridicule a program (and my opinion), at least give a reason why, so people can make an informed decision. Maybe it does have an Achilles heel that I just haven't run across yet. What exactly does PS do that PSP is missing that you need for photo editing?

Honestly, though, PS Elements is almost enough for me, but as soon as I hit the Curves and saw that it was restricted to 4 set points, I never touched it again.

Give PaintShop Pro a try... It's so much cheaper than Photoshop, but I've not yet run into anything it can't do that PS can in my 30 day trial...
I'm not into debating this. It's obviously an inferior product, but I'm not about to go through the whole step by step comparison of cans and can'ts. If PSP works for you, fine. Use it. But don't be fooled into thinking you won't "run into anything it can't do that PS can" unless all you're doing is resizing and cropping.

PS CS4 ($570.99) does the basics well.
PSP ($60) does the basics well.

Gimp (free) does basics well.
IView (free) does basics well.
PS (not free) does basics well.
PSP (not free) does basics well.

Pick one. Or 2. I use IView for cropping, rotating, light adjustment, contrast and sharpening. I use Gimp for cloning, levels, animations etc etc etc.

I see. So the answer to the question "What exactly does PS do that PSP is missing that you need for photo editing?" is "I use IView for cropping, rotating, light adjustment, contrast and sharpening. I use Gimp for cloning, levels, animations etc etc etc."

You implied that you knew both programs well, and I wanted to know what exactly makes PS worth $510 more to you, but I'm no longer interested in what you have to say.

I see. So the answer to the question "What exactly does PS do that PSP is missing that you need for photo editing?" is "I use IView for cropping, rotating, light adjustment, contrast and sharpening. I use Gimp for cloning, levels, animations etc etc etc."

You implied that you knew both programs well, and I wanted to know what exactly makes PS worth $510 more to you, but I'm no longer interested in what you have to say.

I see a refresher course in Reading and Comprehension are in order here. First of all, I never said I knew both programs well, I said, and I quote,

I used PSP years ago when I was also using PS. I can honestly say I have NEVER heard anyone compare the two as equals on any level.
If you want to use that as an implication that I knew them both well, that's your mistake to make.

Also, I believe I clarified myself by saying, and again I quote,

'm not about to go through the whole step by step comparison of cans and can'ts.
Dialog and debate is a great tool, but like every tool, you have to know how to use it in order for it to be effective. Basing your arguments on your own implications won't usually bode well for you. Just sayin'. :hug::

To keep it reasonably simple Photoshop CS4 is pretty similar to Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate. The big general difference is that Paintshop Pro will often have for example one correction function with sliders, while Photoshop CS4 will break that function down into 3 separate functions all with sliders for precise adjustments.

The practical result of this for the photographer is that in Photoshop CS4, you can fine tune everything to the most minute degree but it involves more steps, more learning, and more skill to get the result just perfect. It also takes more time in front of the computer.

The philosophy of PaintShop Pro X2 Ultimate is probably that the extensive level of fine tuning in Photoshop CS4 is not really necessary, and most viewers would not notice the difference. As a result PSP provides most, if not all of the same functions as Photoshop but with a lesser level of adjustments. As a result PaintShop Pro is easier to learn and faster to use.

If you use a lot of plug-ins, they will fit into and work with both programs.

skieur

I like GIMP and I use it most of the time. But one area that bring me back to my old PS is the Patch tool.

Most reactions

Back