Photo Editing

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Natural_Disaster, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Natural_Disaster

Natural_Disaster TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know im just a beginner, however this is something ive been thinking about a lot lately.
    Sometimes some PP is needed and can really make a shot a lot better...But sometimes it just really messes it all up entirely (in my opinion).
    Does everyone always use touch ups and edits on all their shots?
    Maybe i just dont have the "eye" for a great photograph..i dont know. It just seems like i see more and more shots that have been edited in many ways that just start looking grainy or fake...yet they keep getting great comments....
    :confused:
    I guess it all depends on the persons visual taste...

2. SushiWarrior

SushiWarrior TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Almost anything can use a few little tweaks - levels here, curves/contrast there, white balance, and removing dust specks and distractions. But it isn't usually that necessary, it's mostly to improve IMO, not save a picture.

3. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do touch up every photo I take. I personally don't believe there is a photo out there that couldn't benefit from a little PP.
    Some people may go to far, but thats all part of learning. Heck, they may even enjoy the look they're created.
    As far as being Grainy, thats a product of a few different things, but a properly exposed, low ISO, RAW shot should be fine after a bit of processing. A Jpeg that was taken in poor conditions, which someone is trying to fix, will probably end in poor results.

4. burnws6

burnws6 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I never pp. Ever.

5. Natural_Disaster

Natural_Disaster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the comments, i have used editing programs for several years now..but its been mainly for different effects for ideas i came up with, cropping, blending seperate photos, blacking out backgrounds, chaning backgrounds.... that type of thing..... just messing around really.
    I never realized it was used so often by photographers to enhance their photos (excpet in hollywood of course ;)).
    I was talking to a lady about this yesterday and she told me when she first really got started doing photography, she would work day after day after day to get shots that would even come close to comparison as some other photographers she had met...until she found out all their work had been photoshoped....

6. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shoot RAW, so all my keepers get some tweaking in Lightroom.

7. Mulewings~

Mulewings~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've done 'creations' in PS. It is fun. Why not?
    Some don't like it, some do.

I do what makes me happy and sometimes it makes others happy.
    I've even had some good success with composites.

Let your imagination run wild.

I do.

8. DennyCrane

DennyCrane No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Every good picture has post processing. Every great picture has post processing where you can't tell it's been done.

9. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In a sense, all digital images are post processed since all digital cameras shoot RAW and only RAW.

When you select JPEG as the option in your camera, or if there is no other option, the camera still shoots a RAW image. It just post processes the RAW image into a JPEG using its own software and applies the settings, either fixed or user selectable, made in the camera for contrast, sharpness, white balance, ... . These days, some models will even do minor retouching (e.g. remove red-eye, ...) and other alterations (e.g. level horizons, correct vertical keystoning, ...).

When someone says they never post process, what they are really saying is that they rely on the camera's automatic processing (equivalent of automated mini-lab processing and printing of film) rather than doing their own manual post processing (equivalent of hand made darkroom prints). In the hands of a skilled practitioner of the art, the latter is the route to better results.

10. camhabib

camhabib TPF Noob!

Some people like to edit a photo in such a way as to alter the image to how they wish reality was, others edit to bring the image closer to how reality really was. Personally, I'm a bit of a purist in the sense that I make as few changes as possible. I feel like the way I captured the image is the way it should be presented, with the only changes being made are changes that I could not physically achieve for one reason or another (removing blemish, cords, increase contrast, etc). Everyone is different tho.