Photo entries for local photography contest

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Each year we have an arts/crafts festival in my town. I've entered the contest before a few years ago and got 2nd place. After much debate, I've decided to enter again. These will be my entries this year. Feel free to comment, criticize or critique.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Number one actually looks like an illustration (a very good one, obviously). My pick would be number 4, very creative.

#3 is my favorite and I'll tell you hhhwhy. It's a neat scene, it gives you pause, the details are very cool, the old man looks like he'd just tell you a thing or two about... something. Just go say hi. :)

#4 is very neat, but staged. I've personally never liked staged things as pictures... always felt like cheating to me. Still, a neat shot.

#2 is very cute, but get this... my instant reaction was "Oh my god my wife is going to kill me for posting that... oh, wait... this isn't my thread... actually, that's not my wife. What the hell am I doing?" (totally serious) If that's anyone you know, she might not like the shot. BTW, a crop with her more to the right might be a little more complimentary... to be perfectly frank, the first thing the eye is drawn to is the woman's butt. (again, why my wife would kill me) :)

#1 I loved the concept- I love love *love* decay stuff. However, this one didn't seem to quite work for me overall. Some weirder angles might have been neat on this, and I totally see what you're trying to do with the trees in the front, but I found it distracting for some reason.

I really appreciate the comments so far. Each of these are favorites of mine for different reasons. The first, I just like the decay, rot, abandoned feel of it. I actually prefer another crop in B/W I did of it:
IMGP0535BW2.jpg

but when I got it printed they monkied with the tones a little and I didn't like it as much.

#2 is a very dear picture to me, and it probably won't even place actually b/c it seems like competitions steer away from pictures that don't really have much of a value to anyone beyond the photographer or the subjects. I still really love it for the obvious reasons of it having my wife and daughter as the subjects. I also like the tones in the print.

#3 is my favorite "artsy" type of picture, and I feel it has more appeal to a larger audience. I'm not sure I really nailed the tones, but I like the picture overall very much.

#4 is just kind of neat to me. I am throwing it in, b/c it seems like these competitions like still life kind of photography. I doubt it's an award winner, but I thought I'd throw in a little from different areas hoping something might appeal to the judges (shotgun approach).

I completely agree with the assessments already noted here. Any others?

I like your B&W crop of #1 as well... works better for me.

I do think #2 is very cute... might just appeal to me because I have kids, myself.

#3 hands down. Technically good. ANd tells a story. Maybe several dozen stories.

I love #1 and #3. Very great pics.

The crop of 1 for me i like best. 4 is very interesting and i like the concept like others side. But i think 3 probably has the best chance for winning

I really appreciate the comments. #3 is my favorite as far as an entry as well. What do you all think of the tones of it, not that I can do much about it now as it's already been sent to the printer.

I really appreciate the comments so far. Each of these are favorites of mine for different reasons. The first, I just like the decay, rot, abandoned feel of it. I actually prefer another crop in B/W I did of it:
IMGP0535BW2.jpg

but when I got it printed they monkied with the tones a little and I didn't like it as much.

#2 is a very dear picture to me, and it probably won't even place actually b/c it seems like competitions steer away from pictures that don't really have much of a value to anyone beyond the photographer or the subjects. I still really love it for the obvious reasons of it having my wife and daughter as the subjects. I also like the tones in the print.

#3 is my favorite "artsy" type of picture, and I feel it has more appeal to a larger audience. I'm not sure I really nailed the tones, but I like the picture overall very much.

#4 is just kind of neat to me. I am throwing it in, b/c it seems like these competitions like still life kind of photography. I doubt it's an award winner, but I thought I'd throw in a little from different areas hoping something might appeal to the judges (shotgun approach).

I completely agree with the assessments already noted here. Any others?

This version of this shot I think definitely has a shot at first, as do you all your BW's shown here. I love em'!:)

I also agree that the B&W shot really takes it over all the others. It's just a great picture.

#3 would get my second vote

Most reactions

Back