Photo Excursion - would you be interested?! :)

voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There has been an expressed interest in a photo excursion. The talk is to hit Monument Valley this spring. Right now we are thinking April 30th - May 3rd. I am looking to head out that weekend since the mother in law is coming to take my wife baby shopping :LOL: So I thought it would be a good idea to get people together and visit one of the western wonders. I was thinking if people wanted to fly into phoenix we can rent an SUV or 2 and caravan on up. It's going to be camping and there will probably be beer and a guitar...

anyone interested?

markc said:
Hey, if you're paying!

Heh. My inflow of cash is severely limited at the moment, and airfair from Rochester is exorbitant. Maybe if I win the lottery...
$198 RT airfare from Buffalo.

Been there, done it... I work, can't get off work, otherwise I would have joined in the fun.

A couple of ideas:

Monument Valley is a splendor but sometimes is over crowded. Do a Navajo guided tour, which will take you from Goulding's Lodge (near the entrance to the MV park) to Mystery Valley, just South of MV. That place is on Navajo Land and one needs a special permit to visit. However, you can go in with a Navajo guide. It's surreal, sort of like 'Planet of the Apes' scenery. Plus you get to visit the ruins, climb up to them and get inside for real good photo ops.

Also, if I could suggest, go South to Canyon deChelly, which is about two hours drive. To me, this Canyon is even more interesting than the big daddy, the Grand Canyon. Wait for the sun to get down below the horizon, and then keep shooting! The colors are changing quite fast and it's an eerie scenery! Almost like being on Mars! While there, take the hike down to the White House Cliff Ruins, about 45 min. one way. But be careful on the return, it's pretty steep, so carry light duty tripods (if you must). This is the famous cliff dwelling photographed by Ansel Adams.

Then, head to Page, where the famous Slot Canyons (Antelope Canyon) are located. Make sure you have plenty of color/slide film, a tripod and patience. At about 11:15am the sun will be at a height which will make a ray of sun fall into the canyon. Photographers throw some dust in the air to make it more visible, while using a long time exposure (1 sec. or more). Quite stunning! There are many other canyons to be explored but the Antelope Canyon is the most known one. Also check out the Coyote Springs (I hope I remember the name correctly), the stratification of the soil makes for a very interesting pattern if photographed at the right angle.

So much to do there!!!

And while you're in AZ, why not go to see the Superstition Mountains, near Phoenix? That, I could join you for! :D :D

Definitely interested but don't know yet if I can swing the time off, can I take a raincheck?

mrsid99 said:
Definitely interested but don't know yet if I can swing the time off, can I take a raincheck?
No.

voodoocat uses the jedi mind trick to make sid show up on the trip.

Most reactions

Back