Photo Forum is Changing rant.

Should I change their diapers while I'm at it?

I'm glad to have read this thread today.

I'm grabbing my gear and going out to shoot SOMETHING. I do have a slight plan though.

Tah Dah!

Should I change their diapers while I'm at it?

If they have them then it would be a good idea if they do infact need changing. Best thing is also to teach them to change them themselves (or to recomned trousers and potty training as an alternative)

D-50, I just looked through some of your posts when you started out here and I must say, they are not expert posts. As a matter of fact, I found a number that were newbie posts and posts that you wouldn't have had to make if you had used the search. What's up with that?

I think what your saying in the OP is great, but what exactly are you trying to change here? Certainly well thought out posts and replies should be the norm. On the other hand; are we here to have fun or to send people somewhere else? This is a forum for beginners and hobbyists. There are a lot of other forums out there if you would like to speak about issues geared toward professionals.

In the past five years TPF has quickly grown, while other similar forums suffer. This growth has not happened by accident. Here there is an incredible mix of photo skills and levels from all over the world. We have always been known as a forum that helps photographers without the "holier then thou" attitude. Of course there are exceptions. Generally it is not that intimidating and actually provides for some lively discussions. I believe that helping budding photographers creates a positive learning environment. I have seen members go from what is an ƒ stop to owning there own business.

Change is inevitable. We can not start labeling posts or members. Basically the whole forum will eventually suffer.

Love & Bass

I know there are similar threads to this one and its a result of the content ofn the forum. Lafoto you have been here for a while and you do give good constructive critism which is what makes this forum great.

Its the false praise people recieve that kills me. There are many talented photographers on this site and many who add value to the site and to other members but the forum itself is slowly turning to a beginer forum than anything else. 80% of the threads are related to what camera to buy which lens to use.

When someone writes a post about how they are giong to buy a D40 with the two kit lenses and take photos of their kids playing basketball or some other sport inside the gym the response should always be
"you need a faster lens for that the kit will not work"
but instead you get
"the D40 is a great camera I have had mine for a year and am thinking of starting a business at my high school taking photos of sporting events and selling them to parents and friends."

to me it seems the forum is slowly turning into a place where beginers are giving beginers advice and I do not think that helps anyone.

People like Jerry PH, Alpha, Mavs, Garbs, and couple more I cannot think of but there avatars are a chinese man, and a lady with ral spiky hair. These people are intellgent, sometimes biased, sometimes opinionated but that is good and what this forum needs. If a photo is poor than let it be said whether its a new photographers work or a seasoned pro. If you cant take harsh critism than maybe you should not post your work and ask for "C&C" I try to give advice on how to improve a shot but there is nothing wrong with saying a shot is junk if it indeed is.

i agree 100% with this. I have contacts on flickr who get hundreds (literally) of comments on their photo acting like they have the best photos ever taken, some are good, some.. eh. Then i take a picture that i think turned out really good, and i'll get 5 comments (on a good day). But i feel bad giving any harsh criticism on a photo that everyone else keeps saying "THIS IS AMAZING" because then you just sound like you're being cranky. when i post a photo, i want HONEST opinions of it, not just a bunch of kiss-asses.

I can go to my mom for that.

Lets first take into account the purpose of a forum, specifically a public photography forum. It has several functions: to provide a starting place for beginners, to provide a place for people to display works for criticism, sharing, or advice, and to allow people of all levels to discuss topics pertaining to their current photography situation.

It has been a complaint that so many beginners have been posting the same questions: which camera, which lens, etc without any additional information. Lets assume that the person has taken pictures with a P&S and enjoyed the process enough to become interested in a more serious hobby. Just by asking about an equipment purchase, that beginner will gain a basic understanding of various settings which they were previously unaware of as their P&S did not have or were too inconvenient to access, a basic understanding of exposure as they read about fstops of their lens, shutter speed, and different properties of various lenses, and a basic understanding of what different settings/equipment will do to their images as they are redirected to sites displaying images related to certain setups. Not only is this newly gained information a great base for their venture into "serious" photography, it also answers their question about their initial greatest concern: what camera do I need?.

Then it has been said that there are not enough posts about advanced topics, or even intermediate topics. This is to be expected as during the intermediate stage of photographic development, most people are more concerned with taking average shots and asking how to improve. They realize that equipment does not make the photographer, but is only a tool. They have enough information to make somewhat intelligent decisions about the final look of their image. Then the advanced intermediate group is back asking questions about how to achieve a very specific look or how can I develop this hobby into something more. Finally, we have the advanced photographers who have an in depth knowledge of most aspects of photography. These people's only benefit from the forum is a place to display their works for a broader audience by which to receive criticism. They also may ask a few technical questions relating to lighting or post processing as they seek to improve their work flow.

Telling a beginner to go look it up on their own is completely unhelpful as most of the time they tried that already, but would like a quick summary so that their more in depth source makes a little more sense. If people could look up the answers on their own, we would see a lot of teachers out of work. Secondly, what exactly do you want an intermediate or advanced photographer to ask? At those levels, most gains are from experience and experimenting. Obviously reading a forum 10hrs a day will not make you a professional photographer. However, it will give you a great basis for composition, ideas, and anything else you may want to try.

As a solution, so that the more experienced posters dont get so frusterated with answering the same questions, why doesnt someone compile an answer to the most common questions and then people could just provide a link saying read this, then ask whatever needs cleared up. If they still ask a question, then provide an answer, but many people will at least be able to dial in on a more specific question after reading a page long article on their specific subject.

The only thing on this forum that seems completely out of place to me are these RANTS that keep popping up everywhere. Everyone seems to want to complain, myself included, but let's be honest... does a discussion about how some people think it sucks that noobs have the right to post whatever they want on the forum really belong in the Photography Discussion Forum? I call for a new forum in Café TPF such as "RANT Room" where anyone and everyone who has something to b*tch about can go so that all this negative, off topic, yet incredibly entertaining conversation has a home and doesn't interfere with the intended purpose of the other forums. :sillysmi:

Yeah, but I want it on the same level as the Off Topic Chat if u know what I mean... right out there in the open... :sillysmi:

You can satisfy some of the people all of the time. You can satisfy all of the people some of the time. But you can't pick your friend's nose. (Did I get that right?)

Let's just be fed up on our own about things that are not detrimental to the site and keep the focus (so to speak) where it belongs. On the continuation of photography as a viable hobby/art/craft/pursuit/what-have-you. Everything else, as pertains to this site and others as well, is a waste of energy.

I don't agree with that idea - I can see where you are comming form, but such as section would only really be offputting to newer and potential memebers = the odd thread is fine and vanishes after a time, but a section does not - it says something about the board in general as well.
or the ranters could all be forced to subscribe and then post in that subscribers section that the rest of us can't see ;)
(I think there is a subscribers hidden section - if not how about a hidden ranters section for registered ranters)

So should I stop posting my c and c on peoples pictures? as I am a newb and I feel that threads like this are directed at me-although I have never asked about camera's to buy, but i expect I will ask (if I stay) about lenses and how useful they are and quality etc as I am learning about brands and such.
I am really frsutrated when I see threads like this-ITS THE INTERNET you have the CHOICE to ignore the which camera should I buy thread-and if some one says something or miss informs some one-then POINT IT OUT, dont start a rant thread, we are here to learn, the internet is one form that has helped me and once again I point out that it was a google search while on a quest to learn about something or other that I found this site.

I see these Rant threads all the time... it seems almost everyday. I think that limiting these types of discussions to an appropriate area would discourage such action, as the Cafe TPF area is toward the bottom, the threads would likely get less attention. Also, people looking to learn go into the Photographic Discussion Forum looking for educational information and instead they find a lengthy thread regarding how the more estabolished members look down on the new people. My intention is to save people who don't want to see and aren't looking for negative material from having it in a place where it does not belong. I believe that the forums should be policed by the mods and any Rant threads should be moved to a Rant Room, as I said before. Everyone here has the right to post whatever they want, I just believe that this type of conversation needs a home where only those who WANT to view negative threads have to. I feel that these sorts of Rants popping up in every forum say more about the forum than having a specific area where the members can choose if they want to view it. :sillysmi:

thinking about it should this not in fact be in feedback and suggestions anyway?
Its not a photographic discussion anyway, but more of a policy and members one and one concerning a perceived problem within the forum as a whole
ps - don't leave Rachel - I don't want to be left all alone as the only demi-newb :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back