photo free association

This has all of the makings of a solution looking for a problem.

I don't sell photos. Never claimed that I did. In fact I'm pretty sure at some point I specifically stated that I'm not a professional photographer, in this thread.
You can't convince me that you have wasted so much time, just for your own enjoyment! Please tell us what purpose it serves!
Certainly if I am selling software, you are selling photos, and are just being passive aggressive trying to get people to look at you and ask where to buy. Did you get that strategy from Dale Carnegie? But you are going to have to try a lot harder with me, because as you see I have my own, superior zoo pics. No need to look at your other pics, because they would be all the same, just random conventional pics of animals in zoos, and not even one is crapping :). So tell me how you are going to make money? Or are you just going to dodge the question?

Thing is random picture selection software isn't new - its been around for decades already. Heck most computers have one installed by default under the screensaver menu.

And image comparison software is also out there; Google Images and Tinyeye (I can never spell that one right?) both do a fantastic and almost scary level of skill in comparing images and even start to identify key elements (eg show google a picture of a dog and it will say "dog!").

Maybe we're done then.

You can't convince me that you have wasted so much time, just for your own enjoyment! Please tell us what purpose it serves!

Easy enough, I was trying to be a nice guy and help you out by hopefully getting you to think about some things you obviously gave no consideration too.

Certainly if I am selling software, you are selling photos, and are just being passive aggressive trying to get people to look at you and ask where to buy. Did you get that strategy from Dale Carnegie?

This does actually give me a good idea for your next programming project though, maybe you could code an app that would review your posts before you make them, and it uses a special algorithm to determine how condescending and rude your response is, and if it goes above a certain level it won't allow you to post it. Now that's an app you could really use.

But you are going to have to try a lot harder with me, because as you see I have my own, superior zoo pics. No need to look at your other pics, because they would be all the same, just random conventional pics of animals in zoos, and not even one is crapping :). So tell me how you are going to make money? Or are you just going to dodge the question?

Well, never asked you to review my pictures, that was your choice. As I've also stated to you twice now, I don't sell my pictures. So maybe that's another app you can work on, one that actually reads posts to you very slowly and very loudly and then requires you to take a quiz to make sure you actually absorbed the material in the post before it allows you to respond to it. See, that's another great idea for an app you could actually get some use out of.

But lets face it, as it is your picture matching A.I. apparently has a serious form of A.D.D. - so maybe open source would be the way to go for the two above mentioned projects.

For the rest, I'll wish you luck. I have to admit, you confuse me. Why bother to start a "discussion" if your not interested in hearing anything anyone else has to say. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

This has all of the makings of a solution looking for a problem.
That's what my family said about email when I told them about it.

It appears that you didn't know how to explain it either. But then it was created for a substantive purpose before there was what you call the internet.

All this appears to be is a random selection generator. Sort of like the old spinner used for playing twister.

You can't convince me that you have wasted so much time, just for your own enjoyment! Please tell us what purpose it serves! Certainly if I am selling software, you are selling photos, and are just being passive aggressive trying to get people to look at you and ask where to buy. Did you get that strategy from Dale Carnegie? But you are going to have to try a lot harder with me, because as you see I have my own, superior zoo pics. No need to look at your other pics, because they would be all the same, just random conventional pics of animals in zoos, and not even one is crapping :). So tell me how you are going to make money? Or are you just going to dodge the question?
Okay, let's just relax and calm down a little shall we. I'm pretty sure that Robbins' never said he was selling his work, in fact I suspect quite the opposite, and there are plenty of photographers, the majority in fact, who shoot only for their own pleasure.

...Sort of like the old spinner used for playing twister.
Without the potential for the fun & embarrassment!
Apparently Canada didn't get the Twister 2.1 version of the game. :biggrin-new:
twister-bed-sheets-640x533.jpg

Since the image matching side of the thread seems at a dead end (people don't see the point in my taste in matches, and will wait until Apple/Google provides the functionality before trying it in some form themselves), I'll just paste a description of the AI side of it from the About page, since that is the app that I'm actually interested in. Then if people want to criticize something, it will be what I'm actually working on, rather than fantasy apps for photographers that I would be going out of my way to develop. It isn't targeted as a workbench for photographers (there are hidden options on my site for exploring the results from the free matching software tho). Note that in this interface, there is a pure random option so you can compare with the other selection methods. When I built my prototype of the site eons ago, it just did random (15 minutes of work), and I burned out after a month of using it. I've put a year into making it so that browsing the 8K pics in there now still keeps me entertained as a bunch of techniques are brought to bear. (Your mileage might vary :)

Welcome to XXX, a brain teaser slide show that challenges you to connect the photos in your mind, like a picture crossword, or like a therapist analyzing the dreams of a dog scratching an electronic itch.

Each photo is like a brain cell, connected to many other photos by keywords they have in common. The keywords are refined and discussed like characters in Sesame Street, merging points of view to create a hybrid 'brain' that you explore when you use the + option. We hope you will find it entertaining!

The task is to carefully see what jumps out at you in the picture, then use the + option, and see if the next photo has any of the features you have noticed. (The features could be people, things, colors, shapes, textures: whatever we think would make interesting connections as you hold both pictures in your mind.) Don't worry if you don't see any similarities at first — it's not perfect — but if you keep at it, you will start to see themes that last over a few pictures, then more of the others will start making sense — it's like learning a language you find you already know. You can use another option to change the subject when you get tired of a theme, then return to + if you see something you want to pursue.

The - option is for different, | for random, or you can click on the picture itself for mystery selections, choosing from among five different image matching algorithms based on whether you click in a center area or the different corners. The - option tends to go back and forth between lighter and darker photos that don't have any descriptive words in common. The | option is completely random (except that all options are restricted to a set of about 600 favorites for the first 100 pictures).

The dog's eyes: My goal is to make the site smart enough so that it seems alive, like the feeling you get when looking into a dog's eyes. The fading image when you enter the slideshow is a gesture toward that goal. More concretely, a live molecular dynamics simulation is used as a sort of heart, which is affected by clicks on the slideshow page, and in turn affects the next picture you see, and which also gives a continuing life to the site.​

What I really need, aside from a good dose of reality, is the $1M I keep hinting at to hire someone to help me with deep learning, or a job at a place like Google to learn the tech slowly. Meanwhile I figure I need to get more people's photos into it, if it's going to speak any kind of universal language, because my own tastes are so narrowly esthetic.

You can't convince me that you have wasted so much time, just for your own enjoyment! Please tell us what purpose it serves! Certainly if I am selling software, you are selling photos, and are just being passive aggressive trying to get people to look at you and ask where to buy. Did you get that strategy from Dale Carnegie? But you are going to have to try a lot harder with me, because as you see I have my own, superior zoo pics. No need to look at your other pics, because they would be all the same, just random conventional pics of animals in zoos, and not even one is crapping :). So tell me how you are going to make money? Or are you just going to dodge the question?
Okay, let's just relax and calm down a little shall we. I'm pretty sure that Robbins' never said he was selling his work, in fact I suspect quite the opposite, and there are plenty of photographers, the majority in fact, who shoot only for their own pleasure.
Please point out that I am not selling my work either, but he keeps accusing me of it! I was just trying to show how frustrating it is by turning what he says back at him.

Easy enough, I was trying to be a nice guy and help you out by hopefully getting you to think about some things you obviously gave no consideration too.
Which I do totally appreciate, and people are glad to wait until Google and Apple provide any further picture-matching functions, based on my taste in picture matches. I am fine with you living happily ignorant of the experience, the more so because it isn't my product focus anyway. While I appreciate your level-headed, honest attempts to help, and it's refreshing being called out on my passive aggressiveness, the reason I am resorting to it is YOU DON'T SEEM TO LISTEN, sorry for shouting.

Which I do totally appreciate, and people are glad to wait until Google and Apple provide any further picture-matching functions, based on my taste in picture matches. I am fine with you living happily ignorant of the experience, the more so because it isn't my product focus anyway. While I appreciate your level-headed, honest attempts to help, and enjoy being called out on my passive aggressiveness, the reason I am resorting to it is YOU DON'T SEEM TO LISTEN, sorry for shouting.

Question: What purpose does this serve?

Answer: It's for an online brain teaser game. I'm not actually trying to market this as a desktop program.

Wow. See, that would have saved what, 4 or 5 pages of aggravation?

Which I do totally appreciate, and people are glad to wait until Google and Apple provide any further picture-matching functions, based on my taste in picture matches. I am fine with you living happily ignorant of the experience, the more so because it isn't my product focus anyway. While I appreciate your level-headed, honest attempts to help, and enjoy being called out on my passive aggressiveness, the reason I am resorting to it is YOU DON'T SEEM TO LISTEN, sorry for shouting.

Question: What purpose does this serve?

Answer: It's for an online brain teaser game. I'm not actually trying to market this as a desktop program.

Wow. See, that would have saved what, 4 or 5 pages of aggravation?
I prefer Angry Birds myself.
cast-image.png

Especially Chuck, he's just so much fun.

I would just call it The Curator. Nothing worse than trying to pick out fifteen images to put up at a show. A program that could do that, and show the placement location would be worthwhile.

Most reactions

Back