photo free association

I would just call it The Curator. Nothing worse than trying to pick out fifteen images to put up at a show. A program that could do that, and show the placement location would be worthwhile.
The Curator sounds like an excellent idea, the name is the product. I've proposed it without the name as a general idea to a couple of big museums, but the best I got is a polite personally-written no from MoMa. Without a customer, at this point it would need to be a paying one, I don't have a starting use case. But thanks to the suggestion I'll wander by some commercial art galleries and see what the smaller-scale market is like.

In my original idea, you'd get a virtual reality walkthrough of the gallery and coordinate choice and location with hand waves. One simple interface that I've thought of for myself, without inputting the floorplan of a gallery, would be to have the screen like a card table where you'd place blank cards in your chosen pattern, then have them populated by pics, then change each one by clicking on it or some tiny options next to it. That would be a fun app to write, and may happen someday.

SFMOMA has an app with the gallery. It's just a small part of what they are doing in digital.

Which I do totally appreciate, and people are glad to wait until Google and Apple provide any further picture-matching functions, based on my taste in picture matches. I am fine with you living happily ignorant of the experience, the more so because it isn't my product focus anyway. While I appreciate your level-headed, honest attempts to help, and enjoy being called out on my passive aggressiveness, the reason I am resorting to it is YOU DON'T SEEM TO LISTEN, sorry for shouting.

Question: What purpose does this serve?

Answer: It's for an online brain teaser game. I'm not actually trying to market this as a desktop program.

Wow. See, that would have saved what, 4 or 5 pages of aggravation?

Um, I think you started out aggravated :)

"Oddly I just get excited about this stuff and want to discuss it, but that creates the danger that people might like it, I guess."

"Ok, so you come into the forum with a pretty obvious attempt to circumvent the rules and plug your software for sale. Yup, called you on it."

I didn't want to talk about the site because site promotion is off-limits, according to docs and a random 'enforcer'. My main hope was to find people who share my image matching enthusiasm, which didn't happen, but software ideas are always interesting to discuss too.

Well, yet again making a very concerted effort to avoid responding to yet an endless series of personal digs, maybe if you'd just given a direct answer instead of obfuscating like crazy it might have been different.

Instead you spent a lot of time on passive aggressive nonsense trying to bait people into going to your site.

Sorry but I don't do click bait. Nice attempt at playing the victim card, yet again. But no cigar.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Which I do totally appreciate, and people are glad to wait until Google and Apple provide any further picture-matching functions, based on my taste in picture matches. I am fine with you living happily ignorant of the experience, the more so because it isn't my product focus anyway. While I appreciate your level-headed, honest attempts to help, and enjoy being called out on my passive aggressiveness, the reason I am resorting to it is YOU DON'T SEEM TO LISTEN, sorry for shouting.

Question: What purpose does this serve?

Answer: It's for an online brain teaser game. I'm not actually trying to market this as a desktop program.

Wow. See, that would have saved what, 4 or 5 pages of aggravation?

Um, I think you started out aggravated :)

"Oddly I just get excited about this stuff and want to discuss it, but that creates the danger that people might like it, I guess."

"Ok, so you come into the forum with a pretty obvious attempt to circumvent the rules and plug your software for sale. Yup, called you on it."

I didn't want to talk about the site because site promotion is off-limits, according to docs and a random 'enforcer'. My main hope was to find people who share my image matching enthusiasm, which didn't happen, but software ideas are always interesting to discuss too.

i dont know who the "random enforcer" you mentioned is....
but as a forum moderator, "I" am telling you that site promotion is off-limits.
perhaps you should read the forums FAQ and rules section before posting further.
whether it is a site soliciting money, or just clicks, we consider off site links to be spam, or at the very least, shameless promotion when posted by a member who seemingly only joined to promote a product.
if the moderation team feels you are only here to promote a product, and you are not registered as a supporting vendor, your account could be considered spam and treated as such.
when the entirety of your posts since joining consist of trying to be allowed to link to your site and push traffic there to promote your product, you have to understand that the moderation team is not going to look favorably on it.

I have already explained to you in a PM under what conditions you would be allowed to post your links for...whatever it is you are trying to promote.
if the reasoning is unclear, feel free to PM me for clarification.

I would suggest that the best way to garner interest for your project would be to jump off the promotion train and participate on the forum a bit. when people see that you aren't just here to push traffic to your website, they will be more interested in what you have to offer.

in the meantime, im sure any regular member here knows how to use the PM system to get in touch with you if they are interested in seeing your work.

Good time to give up it seems, looks like my shameless attempts at selling are never going to pay off. Congratulations on seeing through my disguise!

More to the point, no one is interested in photo combining, and you've got some weird paranoia going on that seems to be making normal conversation impossible. Thanks to the thoughtful people who commented.

......because as you see I have my own, superior zoo pics. No need to look at your other pics, because they would be all the same, just random conventional pics of animals in zoos, and not even one is crapping ......

Seriously? You believe your zoo image are better just because the animals are defecating?

I think I'd like to revert to the 'Worlds Best Smoking Jacket Images' thread, please.

Seriously? You believe your zoo image are better just because the animals are defecating?

Wow... see, that stings. All this time I've been posting images here for C&C.... I get, nice photo, great set, blah blah blah...

Not once, not one single time did anyone say anything really helpful like, gosh, it's not bad but this shot would really look better if the animal were pooping....

rotflmao

Wow... see, that stings. All this time I've been posting images here for C&C.... I get, nice photo, great set, blah blah blah...

Not once, not one single time did anyone say anything really helpful like, gosh, it's not bad but this shot would really look better if the animal were pooping....

rotflmao
Sparky, me thinks that you may have offended the poop flinger. :lol:
Gorilla Poop.gif

If you've contacted MOMA then it seems like you are trying to market the idea, or something...

I'm not surprised at a museum's lack of interest. Matching photos probably isn't going to meet their needs. And they probably get a lot of requests that they need to decline in a courteous and professional way.

I've done submissions to juried exhibits, and if I ever have the need to choose several at a time it's a 'problem' (or more likely a challenge) I'll be glad to have. I know my work. Whether it's when I've done sports and events or fine art prints, I know which of my photos I'd consider using in a particular way.

There's a lot more to being a photographer than you seem to realize.

I find combinations of photos exciting. Since I was getting overwhelmed spreading prints and slides all over the place when putting albums and slide shows together, I've been playing with image matching algorithms to propose interesting pairs. Here is a series of 3 successive best matches from the first pic, selected from a pool of 6000 pics using the Sift algorithm with 1000 'words' or features it can match:

34401-1472664167-76654dc871d3c9314427f1018a20594a.jpg

34402-1472664200-523e3dbcd804c8473ead1b0623e28bcf.jpg

34403-1472664245-12c5a030961575532c84dc87cb27ca53.jpg

I just pasted some URL's for images I just put on the site, but they look broken. It's inconvenient to have to upload the pics to include as URLs rather than doing it directly. Broken in preview too. I'll just post this and see if there's any useful feedback.
I'm trying to understand the connection between "free association" and "photo matching." It seems the more you build into the algorithm, the less free the association, and the fewer surprises. An algorithm with a minimum of constraints would give the same results as turning the photos face down, shuffling, and then choosing at random before turning them over.

Most reactions

Back