Photo-hobbyist wants to start photo-blogging

I

Iron Flatline

Hi all.

I've decided to start putting up images of my work on a somewhat regular basis. I want to start photo-blogging, but am not sure how to go about it.

Some of the off-the-shelf solutions (like Flickr) just don't seem visually attractive to me, but other applications like Pixelpost appear a little more complex than I have requisite skills for. Should I just pay someone to start a site for me? Has anyone built a nice blog site?

Any comments, advice, or referrals? What should I look for when evaluating software, hosts, or other tools vital to creating and managing a photoblog?

Do they only allow their own templates? Can I create something using Pixelpoint, or MovableType?

They have a bunch of templates that you can choose from.
I don't know if you could create your own.

Ah, I don't know how.

Are there any other recommendations?

Hi!! Boy have you fallen into my area of expertise. Sort of. I'm a photoblogger and administer the Houston Photobloggers site (part of Photoblogs.org). However I am NOT a web designer. My site, Ars Nova, is run on Movable Type and I hired a designer to help me with it. I am going to do a site redesign in a few months and hire a designer for that as well.

PixelPost looks really great and if I had to start all over again I would probably go with that (if I could find a designer for it). But I don't want to mess up all my links so I am sticking with Movable Type.

I can tell you that when I was trying to make these decisions (I started on TypePad and tried to shoehorn my site into its limitations) I spent a lot of time looking at photoblogs from Photoblogs.org (http://www.photoblogs.org). I looked at what engine people used, whether they designed it themselves or hired someone and decided which sites and features I liked and which I didn't. You can find a lot of that information at either the bottom of a page or in the about page if they have one.

I, obviously, could talk about photoblogging all day long. Please feel free to ask away or send me a PM.

By the way there is a Los Angeles Photobloggers at http://losangeles.photobloggers.org/. Also if you would like to see an example of a Blogger Photoblog there is one by a member here at TPF. His name is ShutteredEye a.k.a. Robert and his site is at http://www.theshutteredeye.blogspot.com/

Thank you Aoide.

I've done exactly that - for the last few months I've been all over the various blogs (Photo Friday has been a great place to find some as well www.photofriday.com/). Every time I see a really well done and clean site it is either MT or Pixelpost. The latter is what has me most attracted right now,but I've been chicken about trying it. I don't have much time, and prefer spending my software learning time wrestling with Photoshop, and not my SQL.

Thanks for the heads up on the LA crowd, I will go and introduce myself.

Have you looked in the PixelPost forums for a designer? I agree that it has a really great interface. Someone in the forum may be able to point you to a designer. I totally understand about wanting to concentrate on other things because that is exactly how I feel!

I asked in Pixelpost forums, but they said it was really easy, I ought to try it myself. They're all Pixelpost hobbyists, so I don't blame them for saying it. One part of me is tempted to try it, but I would really just prefer to have someone do it for me. I will look at every blog from the LA list you sent me, and see if anything stands out. One good one I saw was in fact made by someone else for the photographer.

I am really excited though. I like photography very much, and have some artistic aspirations when I focus on particular images. Hopefully I'll get some sensible feedback. However, I like the anonymity of the internet, I think I'm willing to take more risks creatively that way.

I'm a newb who in two posts has done nothing but spammed his own site.
I think this merits a spanking from a Mod.

fl00r said:
I'm a newb who in two posts has done nothing but spammed his own site.
I think this merits a spanking from a Mod.

Ooo... spanking from a Mod sounds fun, although I don't want to be banned. Can I choose the Mod?

Well, seeing as my thread got revived, I may as well point out that I got a site based on Pixelpost up and running all by myself.

For pats on the back, please come and visit me at www.westernflatline.com. Feel free to comment, I could use feedback on my pics.

Hugs,

Iron.

Most reactions

Back