photo management / cataloging app

ytn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Just wanted to point you guys to an app I wrote for photo management / cataloging.

It started out as a pet project when there weren't any other viable options at the time (about 4 years ago).

It doesn't have photo editing capabilities, but it does have a lot of features around searching (by EXIF information like F Stop, aperture size, subject distance etc), uploading to ftp, flickr, picasa web, smugmug etc.

You can configure your own shortcuts to launch an external editor to edit the photo directly from the app.

You can also email directly from the app. It will track what was emailed or uploaded so you don't resend the same photos to the same place. You can view a map of where the photo was taken if there is GPS info embedded in the photo.

Note, it only supports jpg and tiff... unfortunately no RAW support (way too much work).

Its totally free... although I am toying with the idea of making it ad supported to recoup some of my 4 year investment in it :)

It's written in Java (you'll need Java 1.6) so will run on Windows, OSX or Linux.

you can download it from Snapalog

Any feedback (good or bad) would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi 'ytn',

while I laud your effort to create an application for us togs, I have a problem:

how do I open/start it in OSX? I've downloaded it but now I'm stuck: what icon do I (double) click to start it up from the ones I see:

Snapalot.jpg

And can it handle RAW files and be configured to work with one (or more) of my editing applications?

Last edited:
Thanks for trying it out.

Firstly, I assume you hava java 1.6 installed. You can test this by going to a shell window and typing "java -version".

Secondly, you need to make the snapalog.sh file executable. To do this, open a shell window and go to the directory you extracted the program to and type:

"chmod +x snapalog.sh"

You should be able to launch it at that point by either clicking snapalog.sh from your GUI or running snapalog.sh from a command shell.

Unfortunately there is no RAW support at this point. I am looking at making it extensible to allow plugins for RAW importers, but that's a ways out.

You can configure your own shortcuts and menu commands to launch an external editor of your choice for editing photos.

Feel free to email me directly at [email protected] or [email protected] if you need more help.

Btw, I'm going to look at creating an installer for non Windows machines to make things a little easier.

Thanks for trying it out.

Firstly, I assume you hava java 1.6 installed. You can test this by going to a shell window and typing "java -version".

Secondly, you need to make the snapalog.sh file executable. To do this, open a shell window and go to the directory you extracted the program to and type:

"chmod +x snapalog.sh"

You should be able to launch it at that point by either clicking snapalog.sh from your GUI or running snapalog.sh from a command shell.

Unfortunately there is no RAW support at this point. I am looking at making it extensible to allow plugins for RAW importers, but that's a ways out.

You can configure your own shortcuts and menu commands to launch an external editor of your choice for editing photos.

Feel free to email me directly at [email protected] or [email protected] if you need more help.

Btw, I'm going to look at creating an installer for non Windows machines to make things a little easier.

I have made a number of changes to make launching the program a lot simpler.

You should now be able to just double click the snapalog.jar file to launch the app. This works really well on OSX and Windows (should work on Linux as well).

On Windows there is also a snapalog.exe file you can use to run the program. You can also use snapalog.cmd as well as double click the snapalog.jar file for launching the program.

Download the app again from www.snapalog.com and extract the zip. You should now have the new files and options for launching the program.

Let me know if you still have any problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back