Photo management software that's not software?

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by iamgregor, Apr 3, 2010.

1. iamgregor

iamgregor TPF Noob!

I realize this is goofy, but bear with me.

I have a gallery of over 7000 photos. Some are daytime, some are night, some are different places, some have different subjects in them. I can't categorize them by folder alone since they have many different attributes. It would be best if I could tag them like is done on Flickr, but I don't want to use any online solution and I'd prefer to avoid special software too.

Is there a way to tag the photos themselves maybe through EXIF or other meta-data? If I were to use software, all I would want is something that makes it easy to tag and manage photos without me getting stuck with something proprietary. If all the tags are in the photo itself, I can use any software I want down the road.

Does this question make sense and is there such a thing? If Windows 7 has this built in somehow, that would even be better.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The question makes sense.

Do you have any image editing software?

My first thought would be a free application like Picasa.

3. iamgregor

iamgregor TPF Noob!

Yeah, I've used Ulead Photoimpact for about 10 years. I've got image manipulation pretty much covered unless I make the switch to Photoshop someday.

It's management that's a problem. Ulead has a photo album, but it seems pretty proprietary. If the data attributes for the files are in a database or custom information system, that won't work when I go to a different program (hence, not what I want)

4. Rocky8

Rocky8 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Ah. More recent image editors have image management apps.