Photo Newbie Seeks Advice

mdavistke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First, the story:

My father recently passed away and left my wife and I, among other things, a Pentax Asahi MV 35mm camera with multiple lenses that I fondly remember my father using times to numerous to mention. My wife has always been interested in photography and I thought this might be a good way to keep the camera in the family and satisfy an interest my wife has as well. So, I purchased her a few starter books for Christmas and am looking into getting the camera "tuned/cleaned", but I have a few questions.

1) I use Photoshop CS2 extensively for web graphics and the like, but (oddly enough) I've never used the program in conjunction with a camera. Now, obviously, I cannot hook the Pentax up the PC, but is there a way I can photoshop up her images? Is the CD you get from most photo developing places good enough for this kind of software?

2) Is the Pentax Asahi MV a decent camera to begin with? Am I being cheap and should just buy one of the new digital SLRs?

3) Does the camera really need to be tuned/cleaned? Can I do this myself or do I need a professional?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Nice little camera. The one time I tried the CD option at the photo place, all I got was 200 dpi jpegs. One member in one of todays threads only gets the best shots from the set professionally scanned (using the negative) and then doing the digital work. You might want to let a repair shop clean and lubricate the camera if it's been sitting around for 5 to 10 years. Have fun and enjoy the discovery of photos.

What matters more is the pixel dimensions rather than dpi, which can be misleading. If a neg was really scanned at only 200dpi, it would only be 300x200 pixels. But I agree that most of the consumer labs I've seen scan at a mediocre resolution. I think that's fine when you are learning. Once you get good enough that you could consider selling your work, you can get a film scanner and do them yourself or pay more for a pro lab to do them. Until then, I'd take advantage of the cheap and easy way, as it will encourage her to practice shooting more, which is how you get good.

If the camera has not been used for a while it is probably a good idea to get it serviced. I know that in the UK you can get a full service (shutter and light meter calibrations, lubrication, new light seals, adjustment of mirro mechanism...) on similar cameras for about £40 (around $80).

If you have time and the wish to do so, you could also scan the negatives yourself. I have read good reviews about Plustek film scanners, but I haven't used one myself. They are not too expensive and can scan negs and slides at up to 7200 dpi.

IMHO she'd love a dslr. The film thing is not only expensive, but by the time you get stuff developed, you've forgotten what you did when taking the shots. I bought a film camera, took a class and then went back out and bought a d70 and I have to say that it has made taking pictures a real treat.

Film is not cheap... The difference between film and digital costs is:
Cheap to buy the bodies, most of the time expensive to get lens (which is the case for both film and digital), and expensive to buy and develope film. For excample, I just got a film camera myself (I'm new to this photography just as of August) I have taken closed to 700 pictures, and I can say that I have spent easly since August over $600.00, and that is just buying the film and developing (proccess and put on CD). I have been going to Walmart to get them put on a CD, and I get a jpeg photo that is 1818x1228 at 96 dpi which will print a pretty good 8x10 most of the time.

The digital is expensive at the start (body, lens, card, etc.), but after that... nothing really. Except the little gadgets that you HAVE to have (at least in my case). That's my .0125 cents. Which isn't much.

I have to agree that you will likely shoot a lot more with a digital camera. When I first got my D70 I went nuts. The downside for me was I stopped paying attention to the image I was making. I then slowed down a bit and started paying attention again.

1. Try out the slow [1/4, 1/2 and 1 sec] shutter speeds. Listen to the camera. If the 1 sec seems to take 3 sec or more, have the camera serviced. If not, you're set to go.

2. Shoot color slide film. Velvia is a good starting choice. Check the slides with a viewer. If you have one that's really worth the cost and effort, have it scanned by a professional lab. Then PhotoShop it to your heart's content.

After a bit of looking around I was exceptionally pleased to discover the Pentax 100D, which will apparently fit all my Pentax K-mount lenses that my father left me! I belive that this is the kit I will purchase for my wife. Damn it, now I want one:lol:

Here are the lenses I have:

Sears Wide-Angle 28mm f:2.8 with MACRO (what the Hell is Macro?)

Sears 1:4.0 f=80-200mm Zoom Lens (only have markings on this one, had box for previous)

Pentax Asahi 1:2 50mm

Are these decent or no?

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up with the Nikon D50. My wife will be pleased :wink:

Can't see how ,from your very reasonable , train of though about the lenses for the MV fitting the P100D. And this being a good and cost effective answer. You then get to buy a Nikon D50. But I have to say that Ivery much doubt that you will ever have cause to regret it. Damn it ! I want one now....

Well, I was going to stick with the Pentax K100D, but when I took my lenses to the camera guru he pretty much told me they were garbage even if I bought the Pentax (Sears brand lenses). So I hunted Pentax K100Ds and Nikon D50s till one fell in my lap at the right price:

Nikon D50 Digital Camera SLR with Strap
Nikon 18-55mm Zoom Lens
Nikon Rechargeable Li-ion
Memory card: 256mb
Battery Charger AC & DC hookup (Brand New)
Car power adapter (Brand New)

$500 US

It semed reasonable for what the other auctions were going for. Tell me I didn't get ripped off:wink:

This past week I have been taking pictures with a Pentax MV that is on indefinite loan from a kind friend. It will be a while before I get any prints back, so I can't comment on picture quality (I would blame myself before the camera anyway ;-) but I am very impressed with the build quality. The sad thing is, I probably couldn't buy a camera like that today.

I've considered the Pentax ZX-M (manual focus, auto-exposure, motor wind) or the Nikon N75 (autofocus etc.) I can imagine autofocus and motor wind being handy at airshows, but I find the thought of a plastic body (and perhaps even plastic lens mount?) off-putting. For the time being I'm mostly taking pictures of buildings. They're cooperative in that they stand still while I focus and frame the shot.

If I could have Santa bring me any camera for Christmas, I would ask for a metal-body DSLR with no menus, no LCD: just focus and aperture rings on the lens, an exposure knob and a shutter release button.

Most reactions

Back