Photo newbie w/some questions about college & classes.....

sircharlesofavon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
About to start UCF here in Orlando, majoring in Journalism. My passion for writing and photography has led me to doing sports writing/photography. Unfort., UCF doesn't have a photography minor :grumpy:

They have the exact opposite (Photo major/Journalism Minor), but I really don't think that would help me land the type of job I'm looking for.

Any advice on what I can do to really educate myself in photography and sharpen my knowledge and skills enough to actually go somewhere with it, even as a side gig? I would imagine actual classes is the best route, and my only option there is paying out of pocket to take Photo 1 and 2 at a community college. Or is due diligence and reading a good route?

PS: Awesome forum!

Or is due diligence and reading a good route?

In a word, yes. All this is my personal opinion, but through use of this forum, and the internet in general, you can learn anything and everything you could want to know about photography. (Plus this route is free!) The only other advice I have to offer is practice, practice, practice some more, and then practice even more.

As far as getting your name out there, just do it! Once you get your equipment built up to a reasonable level, and get some experience under your belt (maybe with free photo sessions at first, etc) then make up some business cards, post up some flyers, advertise in the paper, so on and so forth, and get your name out!

Good to hear! I was honestly really worried I would be S.O.L. without classes.

As for the equipment, I'm dedicated enough to step out and get the Nikon D90 ;) Coming in January!

About to start UCF here in Orlando, majoring in Journalism. My passion for writing and photography has led me to doing sports writing/photography. Unfort., UCF doesn't have a photography minor :grumpy:

They have the exact opposite (Photo major/Journalism Minor), but I really don't think that would help me land the type of job I'm looking for.

Any advice on what I can do to really educate myself in photography and sharpen my knowledge and skills enough to actually go somewhere with it, even as a side gig? I would imagine actual classes is the best route, and my only option there is paying out of pocket to take Photo 1 and 2 at a community college. Or is due diligence and reading a good route?

PS: Awesome forum!

Anyone else have any other advice?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back