Photo noob looking for new camera

spacemanjupiter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a photo noob, just learning about photography and hardware. I've had a Fuji S9000 9mp for a few years now, and would like to upgrade to something and get serious about learning how to use it. My S9000 has taken some great pictures, but even being the photography noob that I am, I can see the limitations of having an all digital camera.

Here are some things I may be doing with a new camera.
- Documenting highly detailed artwork for 18x24 prints (I assume I need at least 12mp)
- Taking various types of shots for learning
- Capturing moving objects, including possibly high speed objects in the sky during night or day(May start UFO hunting which can often times be objects moving at high speed)
- Video capture (The only video taking capability I presently have is with my Fuji S9000 and would be sorely missed if I didn't have the capability)

First and foremost is image quality, especially for the prints i'll be making from the 18x24 sized artwork I do. Second would be the high speed shooting as described above. Keep in mind i'm a photo noob, but I'm fully capable of learning photography and hardware, which I plan on doing more seriously from this point on.

Here is what I have been looking at.

Canon Digital Rebel T1i. I've heard good things about the image quality and I like the video feature.

I am open to less expensive options, and more expensive options. The T1i just seemed like a sweet spot for the money and quality.
----------------------------------------
Also, just a couple of questions.

What exactly makes a camera entry level or professional?

If a T1i has the same size sensor and digi4 processor, why would image quality from a D7 be better?

Sorry for the loaded post, and thanks for any replies.

The T1i may have the same size sensor but the 7D's sensor is completely new technology. Much improved and much optimized for its higher resolution.

If you want more flexibility in your video shooting, the 7D is also the best available on the market, far better than anything Nikon has, and also better than the 5D Mk II or T1i.

With the 7D's new AF system, which promises to be exceptionally good, I think you have the trifecta that will meet your needs:

1) 18 mp for large prints.
2) Exceptional AF for tracking moving objects. And you can shoot at 8 fps!
3) Great video.

And did I mention 100% viewfinder and pretty good weathersealing?

Last edited:
What exactly makes a camera entry level or professional?

Professional:

1) Solid, all-magnesium construction.
2) Excellent weathersealing.
3) Very fast continuous shooting (in those models optimized for action/sports).
4) Large, bright, 100% pentaprism viewfinder.
5) Shutter rated for more than 150,000 cycles.

Dear Photo noob.
Printing large sizes isn't always about megapixels. Here's the link to one of the labs I work with and what they say regarding image size (not file size) and prints Mpix.com - Help
As for which specific camera...
I work with both Nikon and Canon. On Nikon I've been expose to D70, D50, D80, D200, D300, D90. The later of the two are more superior in IQ but it was more noticeable when printing 16x20 and up. On Canon, I've been exposed to 20D, 30D, 50D, 5D, 5DMarkII, 1D Mark III. Again, image quality is great in both but a bit more superior in later 4 when printing larger sizes.
Another factor you should consider is the lens you'll be using... Decent lens isn't cheap but kit lenses aren't greatest either.

Nikon vs Canon As said, I've been exposed to both brands for many years (after digital revolution) and the big difference b/n the two is the way they feel in your hand. I love chocolate icecream and preferably shoot with Nikon b/c I like the way it feels in my hand. I'll take Vanilla if there's no chocolate and I'll take canon if there's no nikon but preference is still to chocolate (nikon) - you got the idea. I cannot comment on other brands and their IQs. The closest I got to fujifilm and sony slrs is holding them in a store but again those weren't my flavor.
Best advice I can give you is get to the camera store and hold the camera you want to work with, see if it feels good and go from there.
Good Luck

Dear Photo noob.
Printing large sizes isn't always about megapixels. Here's the link to one of the labs I work with and what they say regarding image size (not file size) and prints Mpix.com - Help
As for which specific camera...
I work with both Nikon and Canon. On Nikon I've been expose to D70, D50, D80, D200, D300, D90. The later of the two are more superior in IQ but it was more noticeable when printing 16x20 and up. On Canon, I've been exposed to 20D, 30D, 50D, 5D, 5DMarkII, 1D Mark III. Again, image quality is great in both but a bit more superior in later 4 when printing larger sizes.
Another factor you should consider is the lens you'll be using... Decent lens isn't cheap but kit lenses aren't greatest either.

Nikon vs Canon As said, I've been exposed to both brands for many years (after digital revolution) and the big difference b/n the two is the way they feel in your hand. I love chocolate icecream and preferably shoot with Nikon b/c I like the way it feels in my hand. I'll take Vanilla if there's no chocolate and I'll take canon if there's no nikon but preference is still to chocolate (nikon) - you got the idea. I cannot comment on other brands and their IQs. The closest I got to fujifilm and sony slrs is holding them in a store but again those weren't my flavor.
Best advice I can give you is get to the camera store and hold the camera you want to work with, see if it feels good and go from there.
Good Luck

There's also the fact that owning a Nikon improves your sex life!

Nikon vs Canon As said, I've been exposed to both brands for many years (after digital revolution) and the big difference b/n the two is the way they feel in your hand. I love chocolate icecream and preferably shoot with Nikon b/c I like the way it feels in my hand. I'll take Vanilla if there's no chocolate and I'll take canon if there's no nikon but preference is still to chocolate (nikon) - you got the idea.

Funny, my experience is the exact opposite. When I was first shopping for a DSLR, I tried the XSi, D60 and D90, and they felt terrible in my hands! Uncomfortable to hold and operate.

But I *loved* how the 40D felt. It was as if Canon designed the camera body specifically to fit my hands. And the ergonomics -- fabulous! I would not care to use a Nikon.

(To be fair, I liked the D300, but the 40D still felt better.)

Funny, my experience is the exact opposite. When I was first shopping for a DSLR, I tried the XSi, D60 and D90, and they felt terrible in my hands! Uncomfortable to hold and operate.

But I *loved* how the 40D felt. It was as if Canon designed the camera body specifically to fit my hands. And the ergonomics -- fabulous! I would not care to use a Nikon.

(To be fair, I liked the D300, but the 40D still felt better.)
That's interesting. Among pro's, Nikon is noted for having excellent ergonomics and layout compared to all the other brands.

Canon makes fine gear and you can't go to far wrong with any major brand.

Since image quality is high on your list check this from an independent lab

I'd look into the Nikon D90 and get a feel for both of them (Canon and Nikon, or whatever else interests you).

I've been reading about the Canon 7D coming soon. It looks very interesting to me, although i'd have to save up for another few weeks before i could get just the body. I could get a T1i this weekend with a lens. Would the image quality be that much better on the 7D for me to justify waiting?

1) Solid, all-magnesium construction.
2) Excellent weathersealing.
3) Very fast continuous shooting (in those models optimized for action/sports).
4) Large, bright, 100% pentaprism viewfinder.
5) Shutter rated for more than 150,000 cycles.
While most pro models have what you listed, not all do.

Generally pro models have aspects of them. :)

Well i don't know much about camera hardware yet, but i'm going to make some assumptions here. I don't see how a 7D image quality at the same resolution would be much better than a T1i.

1. they both have the same size sensor so i assume that image quality would be the same at 12 or 15mp.

2. they both have the same processor, although the 7d has two, which i assume is used mainly for higher bursts and such, not image quality.

3. 7d probably has better high iso performance, although i'm sure the t1i does a lot better than my all digital fuji s9000.

magnesium body would be nice but i'm not a photographer. i'm just beginning to learn. i don't really care what kind of body it has at this point in my photo endeavors.

other than the better high iso performance and better HD vidoe, which t1i is already pretty good with, i don't see a reason to get the 7d until i learn more about photography. am i noobly wrong here with my assumptions?

i forgot to add something. i'm not sure how this industry works, but am i wrong to also assume that the price of the t1i will come down as soon as the 7d is released? since i noticed they have a lot of the same features, just in a different quality bracket, i was thinking if i wait until the first week of oct i could get a t1i for less than i will this weekend.

Check out the hands-on experience report Rob Galbraith, who has actually had the chance to shoot the 7D pre-production. The camera is set to ship next week. Not many people have actually had the 7D--ROb was given a sample camera to test and evaluate. I suggest you read about the camera from somebody who has actually USED ONE, and not believe all the hype from people who are jonesin' to get the camera.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon announces 17.92 million image pixel, 8fps EOS 7D

I don't think the 7D will be much use as a UFO hunter's camera. But who knows--it might be just the ticket. You ought to wait until the camera hits the streets and lots of users get a chance to put it through its paces. I would not expect the T1i to drop in price when the new 7D hits the market--it's too new for a price drop just yet,and is not a competitor for the 7D.

Most reactions

Back