Photo of the Month

deveel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts on the POTM contest that Amanda (eromallagadnama) keeps up and running (GREAT JOB :thumbup: ) in the Photo Themes forum. I really like the idea of nominating other poster's photos to become the "Photo of the Month" of the forum here. I also like the way it is done that everyone who feels a picture is worth it can nominate and then there's a poll at the end of the month. It's just sad that the POTM thread keeps being hidden in the Photo Themes forum.

In my opinnion, it is really a push to the motivation if one sees his ore her own picture being nominated (and probably wins the POTM). So, is there any way to make this kind of thing a bit more prominent to get more people being aware of this and taking part? May be a subforum POTM in Photo Themes or at least the thread (or a thread each month) made sticky to the forums from where nominations can come.

-Stefan-

I like your idea, but there could be a couple of wee problems with it...

The POTM works because the images are submitted and hosted on another site, so you get to see all of them for the time it's open for voting. Picking photos arbitrarily as the month progresses might see them disappear as they are hosted all over the place and it might lead to issues with people's popularity.

The other issue is that some people just like to show their pictures, and might not want to be in a contest or whatever. Although it's a flattering prospect to have one's work complimented, it's probably enough for most to either show it in the gallery or submit it to the POTM competition.

I do think there's room for some kind of "everyone's favourite" thing where we can compare all pictures, rather than a monthly theme, but I don't see a way of doing this in a fair or relevant way.

What does everyone else think?

Rob
p.s. I would like to see all the previous POTM competition winners in a gallery with their name, comments on interpretation and the picture, as AFAIK you can only see last month's winner?

Interesting ideas, guys. :thumbup:

Corry (core-17) is the moderator of these forums, so I just sent her a pm to make sure she doesn't miss this thread. I'm sure she'll appreciate the feedback! :)

Some very good ideas here. As for the gallery...that is up to Chase, since I have no way of doing that myself. I'll pm him this thread, as well. I haven't stepped in and done much with the photo of the month thing, because it was Amanda's idea, and she's been doing a great job, so I'd like to get her input as well before anything is done...but as for making it more prominent in the Themes forum, I don't quite think it needs to have a subforum at the moment (maybe in the future)...but maybe I could make it a sticky..each month when Amanda is ready to start the thread, she can PM me and I'll sticky it and unsticky the old one. That along with a reminder thread each month in Off-Topic... How bout that for now? Oh...and as for making a theme each month for the Photo of the Month...wouldn't that be a bit too close to the Monthly challenge we already have?

Anyway...keep the suggestions coming. :)

Great ideas and input :) I like the idea of a sticky as Corry suggested, that way it wouldn't be lost in the themes section, but still not as prominent as a subforum either. I just liked the idea of doing this b/c I thought it would be a great way to encourage people in their shooting and posting. Sometimes pics get lost in all the comments and by doing this its a way of saying you really liked someone's work to take the time and nominate. By everyone having a fair chance to nominate pics then that really wouldn't involved favoritism IMO...but I am more than open to others suggestions to get more pics nominated...oh and Corry since you are the themes mod, you can feel free to go ahead and post the sticky yourself if you want :) It doesn't matter to me, I don't know how much time you have to do it, but feel free to take over as mod :) I just was there to get the idea started.

As Corry said, keep the suggestions coming :)

Great! Thanks Corry for making the change. And thanks Amanda for keeping that POTM running. So let's see how this will work out in the future.

Most reactions

Back