photo pass help...

placeonthecorner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raisingmissjune.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi folks... so my photography coarse is going amazingly well, lovin' every day of it... we break up for summer hols in MAY, and i want to go to some of the music festivals next year to take some photos for a jounalism project im going to be doing the following term...
I was wondering how i go about getting permission to photograph at such events?... tutors have suggested i join the NUJ but im not sure this will help much, or even if its the right route to go down...

Any ideas?... fanx :)

Contact the event organizers. They may be giving out passes, or they may not have restrictions. Another thing some of us do is make a fake press pass.

I was thinking if you created your own newspaper and say printed 1 issue a month and passed it out to yourself, and then you made a press pass for it. Teachnically speaking wouldn't you be press and have a real pass?

Or is there some sort of thing you have to register with to be a member of the press

I guess that it depends on the festival. Getting backstage during Coldplay is a lot harder than obtaining a media pass at Burning Man. Keep in mind that festivals are about the people and the vibe. Everyone has seen shots of bands on stage. Media passes may be over rated.

Being a student can go a long way. Use it. When you talk to event organizers, tell them you are working on a project for school. You'd be surprised at the access you can get.

thanx for the advice folks.. im trying to get involved with some local fanzines and indy mags to try and get some experience and maybe contacts in this field... i like the fake pass idea!! ;)

Digital Matt said:
Being a student can go a long way. Use it. When you talk to event organizers, tell them you are working on a project for school. You'd be surprised at the access you can get.

Absolutely. Most events will be nice to students. Concerts are pretty tough, but art festivals and other events that don't have celebrities and there egos involved are a lot more easygoing.

Be honest -- don't use fake press credentials. If you BS your way into things, it will eventually catch up with you, and you'll get a reputation as a BSer.

If you ever want to shoot an automotive related event, PM me and I may be able to set you up. Having an assignment letter from a magazine is another way to get credentials, and I work for a car magazine. Also, talk to magazines that cover what you want to shoot. Be open and honest, and I think you will find people willing to help you out.

G

sound advice, thanx... i will defo get in touch in the non too distant future about automotive shinanigans... i still need to get my confidence though which is proving a little troublesome... we've been taught alot of skills over the past year but its putting them into practice in the real world that seems to be the scary bit!!!!.... thanx again and spk soon!!!

I've been on the 'inside' of several music festivals. My father, has managed/produced/organized hundreds and hundreds of them...I don't really know how the photo/media passes are dealt with...but one thing I do know...is that it depends who you ask. Most people on the music/stage side of it...don't want to give access to anyone...it's just easier to say no. Also, they are weary of photographers...because if something happens and a bad photo gets out...it will come down to 'who let that guy in?'

Normally, for concerts...there are specific rules. Something like 'photography allow for the first three songs' by each act. They artists look better before they get all sweaty and worked up.

So back to 'who to ask'...maybe you can get around the music side of things and ask a sponsor. Find out who is sponsoring the event...and try to contact them. Sometimes a pass from them, can trump the organizers...but when it comes down to it...it's the security guys who will have the last say. If they want you out...you had better run.

Most reactions

Back