Photo Print Size Sheet?

ashleyc8705

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone know where I could find a photo print size sheet? Mpix.com has all these sizes I can choose from (6x9, 8x8, 10x13 etc.) and I am no good with estimating the size.

Help is much appreciated!

What's to estimate?

Choose the size of print 'that you want' and order that.

The usual standard for required resolution...is that you want to have 300 pixels per inch of print size. So for a 6"x9" print, you would want your image file to be 1800 pixels by 2700 pixels.
If your files isn't that big, then you can use software to make it bigger...or sometimes the lab can do that for you. You can't go too far though, because that will degrade the image quality.

The only print size I know for sure is 4 X6 because that is the most common size used. But let's say I want a larger picture but not too big, I would like to know the size different in a 8X8 to a 8X12 or 5X15. Get what I am saying?

Get what I am saying?

Afraid not. Sorry. do you have a file that you want to print at one of those sizes? Like BM said, let's say you have a picture that would want to print 15x5, in order to do that you would to have a picture that was 7500x1500 pixels to get a 300 dpi shot out of it. Now if the shot that you have is a standard 6.3 MP image (3008x2096 for example), you can up the siz of the 3008 to 7500 making the image a 7500x5226 pixel image in which you'll have to crop some of the height to make it a 7500x1500. Make sense or I even getting close to the question?

I would like to know the size different in a 8X8 to a 8X12 or 5X15. Get what I am saying?
Get a ruler or tape measure and figure it out.

Hmm I'm not sure how I can explain it any better haha! When my sister takes my nieces to get their pictures taken they give her a sheet that shows examples of the photo sizes. That way she knows what size she wants for each photo. For family shots she usually gets a large size photo and a few smaller ones.

If I order photos online, I don't want to just guess what sizes I want. If only they had the sheet that my sister gets at the photography studio. So that leads up to my question. Does anyone know where I could find a sheet like this? I suppose I could grab a ruler and draw one myself but I wanted to see if anyone had one.

I would recommend going to a store (like wallmart, target, any frame store or store that has frames, ect...), and look at the frames section. Each frame tells you the picture size in big numbers that will fit into it. This will give you an idea about the different sizes and how they will look. Some even have the example pictures inside to give you even more of an idea of the size and how it will look in that frame. Good luck!

Sizes are pretty easy to estimate but if you must get various blank sheets of paper.

Measure 10 inches along 8 inches down, 10 inches back and 8 inches up!

Now cut out around the lines and you have the 10" x 8" sample.

Next do the same for your other szes.....

How is this the weirdest thread ever? Isn't this the beginners place? Where people can ask any question, no matter how stupid they may seem?

It just seems weird to me because you're wanting to estimate sizes, but the size is already spelled out for you in inches, which is easily figured using a ruler, so as Big Mike mentioned, there's nothing to estimate.. No offense... just seems odd.. but you're right, it's the beginner's forum, so ask away.

Most reactions

Back