photo printer

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by BLD_007, Feb 21, 2010.

1. BLD_007

BLD_007 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a officejet J6450 and I just put photo paper and photo grade ink in it and printed a picture and it doesn't quite look pro grade.

I have a canon mp600 at home that I think will be better.

What would be a good printer or am I just better off sending the pictures off to a lab?

2. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its likely more cost effective to order lab prints. But, if you enjoy printing at home, like the extremely short turn around time, and want full control of your prints then it is not a bad idea. I personally use Epson printers and most all of the people I know do too.

I use the Epson 3800 but it is now replaced by the 3880. It will print up to 17 inches wide.

I recommend the 2880. It will print up to 13 inches wide.

Its 699 at B&H right now, plus there is a 200 dollar mail in rebate. Not a bad price for a lot of printer.
    Epson | Stylus Photo R2880 Inkjet Printer | R2880 | B&H Photo

3. stormbind

stormbind TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You might like this one as well. It is canon's pro line of inkjet printers.
    $749 with a $200 mail in rebate. $500 mail in rebate if you buy one of their cameras as well.
    Canon | PIXMA Pro9500 Mark II Inkjet Printer | 3298B002 | B&H

I can't say that one is better than the other because I have not used either. Just another option for you to think about.

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beware --

The cost of a printer pales in comparison to the cost of feeding it with ink ! Unless you're a pro (and often even then), it probably makes sense to send your images out for printing.

5. BLD_007

BLD_007 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have this one at home.
    Canon PIXMA MP600 Photo All In One Printer

is it good, bad, average?

How can you tell a printer is a good printer? Like when it comes to camera its MP or computers its how much ram you have.

How to do scale a printer? and what would be considered good enough to make the clients happy?

6. BLD_007

BLD_007 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I will only be printing if someone wants a picture printed and charge them at cost + for profit or will i get more profit just by using the printers

7. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Then you should just use a lab to do your prints. When all is said and done, its not really any cheaper to print at home. I only fire up my printer when I need a very quick turn around such as event shooting on weekends where I shoot all day Saturday, sell on Sunday at the event. Ever time you power on the printer, it cleans the nozzles and wastes ink. My Epson, for example, costs 500 bucks to replace all the ink cartridges. Factor in paper costs, and its not all that cheap. The only other time I use it is for personal prints and all of my proofing is done with it.

8. cretgoo

cretgoo TPF Noob!

Hi,

I personally would like to suggest some that are good for photo printing.....Go for the one that serves your purpose better...Hp officejer Pro 8500,Epson Stylus NX515,Lexmark Platinum Pro 905..

Good Luck.

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have you read the reviews on that link? It doesn't sound so good.

I agree that using a good lab is the best solution. I do have a decent quality photo printer at home, but I only use it for personal stuff or when I need a print fast.