Photo Quality

Magnatolia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having problems getting sharp crystal-clear results from my Nikon D70 with the 70-300mm G lens. When I load the picture onto the computer, the resized version (usually 1:3) is fine, but once I maximise to 100% the image looks horrible.

Is this a problem with the G lenses, and would it be fixed if I bought the ED version?

I've attached some cropped samples for you to see. Your opinion and help would be appreciated as I am beginning to get sick and tired of the same old tired results.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

As you can see in these cropped pictures these areas are not sharp and don't appear to be in focus, yet on some of them at least, the F-stop was somewhere in the vicinity of F8-11. Am I possibly right in my assumption that it is because of the inferior glass used on the G style lenses, or could there be a problem with the camera. Some of them are minor such as the tip of the birds beak but they spoil the images.

Thanks in advance
Jason

I am new to photography so take my advice as a grain of salt. But I find that if I don't not use a tripod, my images will be somewhat 'blurry' when blown up to full size. Of course in some situations a tripod is not all that handy, and at this time, Image Stabilization comes in handy if it is on the lens. (Sorry, I am not entirely certain what Nikon products call this feature, but I know there is something equivalent).

Hopefully this helps some.

Thanks vondrehle, I realised my mistake.

These were taken in my backyard on a sunny day. I think the shutter speed was around 1/400th.

Could it be to do with how close you are to the subject? Say, if you get close enough that the focus can lock only at the 70mm position. Would that cause the maximised image not to be completely sharp?

Jason

I have a D70 with a Sigma 70-300mm lens. zoomed all the way out I can't handhold it at 1/400 sec. I'd say use a tripod.

As far as 100% view looking the way it does...I have no clue.

Remember the general rule that says the shutter speed should be the reciprocal of the focal length for hand holding.
Also remember that on a DSLR a 300mm lens isn't 300mm....it's 1.6 x 300 ie 480mm. So the shutter speed should ideally be at least 1/500 for hand holding. Try stepping the fstop or ISO to allow a faster shutter speed.

Thanks for the replies.

Darich, that could be the problem. I usually handhold all my photos as the tripod I purchased is extremely bulk and pretty damn useless. I thought that camera shake resulted in the image actually moving rather than the out-of-focus effect that my photos are experiencing. So could handholding at too slow a shutter speed cause those results?

Thanks
Jason

I would say those shots look like camera shake. You could try taking a shot at the wider end of the lens in bright daylight and see how it compares.
Camera shake will be visible at areas of high contrast and highlights in the eyes but large areas wont show it as obviously....that could be tricking you into thinking that the shot is out of focus. Try a few shots with the tripod and a few without. That would also help eliminate any doubts about the focus.

They look more out of focus that camera shake to me, but it could be slight camera shake making it blurry.

I'm with Patrick on this one. I can handhold my 50mm prime to around 1/8th but at the long end of my 70-300, I get the shakes really bad up in the 1/400 range.

darich said:
Remember the general rule that says the shutter speed should be the reciprocal of the focal length for hand holding.
Also remember that on a DSLR a 300mm lens isn't 300mm....it's 1.6 x 300 ie 480mm. So the shutter speed should ideally be at least 1/500 for hand holding. Try stepping the fstop or ISO to allow a faster shutter speed.

Good point darich..forgot about that.

Also those are all relatively close-up shots with relatively little DOF, both of which make focus that much more critical.

I find that even with the reciprocal rule it's not always adequate. Shooting at 1/250th with my 200mm lens 10/10 photos will be okay in terms of sharpness but only 4 or 5 out of 10 will be really crisp, to be sure I try to shoot at 1/500 at least or even 1/1000. Of course better still just use a tripod.

I highly doubt that it has to do with the lens quality. Your local photo store would love you to think that though. I would certainly try shooting with a tripod first.

Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back