Photo rights and online posting...

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Allaina, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Allaina

Allaina TPF Noob!

Ok so i belong to a horse forum where another member who boards at my barn with me posted a picture of my horse and my dog. No people were involved, she took the picture with her camera and i was somwhat aware of it. I thought she would just have it for her own enjoyment instead she posts it on a horse forum as her own saying "dog and pony show". Not saying who the dog and horse were or claiming i was the owner or any of that.
    So i was wondering if she has to take it down? Its my dog and horse in the photo and i would like it taken down however she took the photo so does she own it?
    I have emailed the moderators at the horse forum and they havent gotten back to me yet.
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks!

2. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmmmm .... interesting question and I'll be interested in hearing what the pros say. I have never heard of needing a model release for animals (although I could imagine this would change if the animal was a famous one). The copyright of the photograph, as I understand it, would belong to the photographer.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I would think the same - unless the animal was famous enough and even then for basic editorial use I would think one would still not need a release form (since this is the way it is for people in many countries).
    If this person is your friend though, why the officail rout? Why not simply ask that she name you as the owner in the details of the forum post? That would be a simple affair and most people don't have problems with small notes like that.

4. Allaina

Allaina TPF Noob!

Ive been finding that info on the web that the photographer owns the photo but is she allowed to post it on a public forum as her own...people probably think this is her horse and dog. And although i somewhat knew she was taking the picture i didnt say "yes you have permission to take it". I dont think animals/pets need model releases but its just bothers me about posting it on this forum....

5. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess one exception to the above thought might be that if it was done on private property, you might have the expectation that no one will photograph your animals. You would have to ask a lawyer about that, though.

6. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    Just as an aside though - unless your friend specifically states that the animals are hers I would (personally) not really worry about such a thing. There is a big difference between "these are some animals I took a photo of" and "this is my horse and dog". Of course I understand that you still might not wish them to be online, at which point I would say contact your friend first and talk with them about it.

7. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is she claiming that the animals are hers or is she just claiming that the photograph is hers?

8. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    As far as I have worked out (and again I might be wrong) unless there is due notice that photography is not allowed she can still take photos untill asked not to. However any images taken are still hers by legal right and thus she can use them as she wishes without a release (which is most uses aside from advertising).
    Best advice would come from a lawyer - but that is taking this situation into the extremes a bit I feel

9. Allaina

Allaina TPF Noob!

She is a person i board with and the furthest thing from a friend. I was just trying to figure out if i had any rights to this photo because my animals are in it but i guess not since she took the picture with her camera/camera phone. Seems weird that i have no say though. I wouldnt post any pictures of her horse (that i took) without first asking her or at the very least giving credit to her and saying its her horse.

10. Allaina

Allaina TPF Noob!

She is not claiming to own them but it is on her profile page under her photographs and i dont even have that same type of photo on my profile.
    It was taken on private property where i board. Other people took pics of my horse and dog that day too but didnt go posting it on a forum.

11. Allaina

Allaina TPF Noob!

I guess since she took the photo the online forum cannot ask her to remove it regardless of whats in the photo. That sucks. Oh well. The barn should be fun tonight lol!

12. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

What possible harm has she caused by sharing a photograph of your horse?