Photo Sharing

joshua1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm currently looking into some premium (ad-free) photo sharing sites and writing a blog about my experiences. I'm pretty much looking for a sites that offer affordable plans, secure sharing, and slick interfaces. The ability to sell photos isn't really being considered, as I plan to sell my photos through ImageKind, and not through my personal site that I will share with friends and family. So far I've decided to review SmugMug, Phanfare, potentially Flickr Pro, and decided not to review pBase, Picasa, DropShots, and dotPhoto Pro (you can see the reasoning at my blog http://www.photosharing.ws/ ).

Have I missed any good services to look at, or does anyone have reviews they'd like to share about SmugMug, Phanfare, or Flickr Pro?

Thanks!

Well,

I use flickr at the moment, but I haven't upgraded to the pro account...yet. I was just searching through the three sites you mentioned, and flickr is by far the cheapest for the pro account. It also has a free account so you can try it out. If price has anything to with your choice, I would go with flickr, but I also like their interface.

I've used Smugmug for more than a year now ... all I have to say is good things on Smugmug's value and the lack of downtime.

Smugmug, although not a reason sign up, truly cares about its subscribers. Firstly, they had a rate increase a while back, but existing subscribers are not effected. Very considerate.

More importantly is how the management of Smugmug has reacted in a few cases that I am aware. In one case a subscriber requested on the Smugmug forum help in the creation of a collage. As it turns out the collage was for a funeral service for the youngest client (11y/o) of the photog requesting help. Smumug's management contacted a few subscribers and employees and directly asked them to help out. After the collage was designed Smumug printed and FedEX all the poster sized prints to Georgia (Smugmug is in California) in time for the funeral, at Smumug's expense.

Recently a Smugmug subscriber and active forum participant died. Smugmug created a permanent gallery of her photos and gave prints of her photos to any who asked ... all pro bono ... in her honor. Now that's a company I wish to be affiliated even if their service was only average ... but their service is stellar ... and their corporate attitude exceptional.

All things being equal, I'd rather give my hard earned monies to a company like Smugmug ... than a no-face corporation that puts profits above people.

My $.02
Gary

Most reactions

Back