Photo shoot of slim girl

rui silva

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and photography in general. I'm going to make a little practice shoot with a slim girl who wants to look "hotter", but I can only find information on how to make girls look thinner on photos! Do you guys have any tips on angles, poses, makeup/accessories, or any place where I can find some useful information? Thanks :)

Here is an extract from this blog;
The Portrait Photographer: Corrective Techniques

" Thin or Underweight Subjects. A thin person is much easier to photograph than an overweight person. Have the person wear light- colored clothing and use a high-key lighting ratio and light-colored background. When posing a thin person, have him or her face the camera more to provide more width. A seven-eighths angle is ideal for people on the thin side.

If the person is extremely thin, do not allow him or her to wear sleeveless shirts or blouses. For a man, a light-colored sports coat will help fill him out; for a woman, fluffy dresses or blouses will disguise thin arms.

For a thin face, use broad lighting and a lighting ratio in the 2:1 or 3:1 range. Since the side of the face turned toward the camera is highlighted, it will appear wider than if short lighting is used. The general rule is, the broader the person’s face, the more of it should be kept in shadow; the more narrow the face, the more of it should be highlighted—the basic differences between broad and short lighting.

Slender subjects can be photographed head-on with no angle to the shoulder axis. A very broad, highlight area and the pose enhance this girl’s natural beauty. Photograph by Tony Corbell.
"

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and photography in general. I'm going to make a little practice shoot with a slim girl who wants to look "hotter", but I can only find information on how to make girls look thinner on photos! Do you guys have any tips on angles, poses, makeup/accessories, or any place where I can find some useful information? Thanks :)
It's tough to answer your question b/c (1) even people of a similar body type (say...slim...or muscular...or curvy...or overweight...or whatever) will have different angles and looks; and (2) it's unclear what you mean by "hotter." Frankly, I think issues like makeup and expression are going to have more impact on if someone looks "hotter" than if you're trying to make them look "less slim."

Assuming that the "slim" means "less busty" and when you mean "hotter" what you really mean is "sexy" then here are a couple of pose hints:
1. Don't have the model seated, facing you straight on. Her legs (knees to ankles) will look like sticks. This is why heels are are good. Put the legs at an angle (even if she's standing or seated towards you) so you see some muscle definition and some calf (and thus, no stick legs).
2. Anything that uses gravity to your advantage will make breasts appear bigger. So if she leans forward a bit. Or uses her biceps to push her breasts a bit more towards the center.
3. Here's a prop tip: if she's wearing any kind of dress or bra that adds a bit of cleavage, have her wear a small crucifix on a thin chain. It's like a neon arrow pointing to cleavage saying "LOOK HERE!"
4. There are a variety of poses that will add curves by popping out hips (so a slim model will look curvier). If she's laying on her side facing, have her bring one leg up (bent) and the hips expand by 2-3 inches. Ditto if she kneels or squats.
5. Lace is a great way to look sexier even if there is nothing revealing. And if she's really slim, than layer clothing a bit (lace camisole topped by a coat or shirt that is open to reveal the lace).
6. Or hide most of her body...have her peering around a bedroom door so we see her face, shoulder, a hip and maybe a leg. Put a man's dress shirt on her (as if she's trying on a lover's clothing to remind her of his scent)...it can look very sexy, doesn't have to be revealing, and is very suggestive.

I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding and/or if I have offended someone or someone's ideals with the terms I have used, I am not an english native speaker so understand that for me hot=sexy=looking good=flattery=bringing up the good aspects of a person's body.

So, @JoeW those were exactely the kind of tips I was looking for, thank you so much.

And @paigew thank you for your, erm, philosofical contribution, I guess? Anyway, to answer your probably retorical question about "what is hot?" here's an excerpt from the cambridge dictionary that correlates to the definition I was looking for in particular:

"hot adjective (SEXY)

› informal sexually attractive (...)"

Last edited:
I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding and/or if I have offended someone or someone's ideals with the terms I have used, I am not an english native speaker so understand that for me hot=sexy=looking good=flattery=bringing up the good aspects of a person's body.

So, @JoeW those were exactely the kind of tips I was looking for, thank you so much.

And @paigew thank you for your, erm, philosofical contribution, I guess? Anyway, to answer your probably retorical question about "what is hot?" here's an excerpt from the cambridge dictionary that correlates to the definition I was looking for in particular:

"hot adjective (SEXY)

Was my response so philosophical??? You think that because this person is thin, you have to do something to make her look "hot"; that a thin person is not "hot"?! Imagine if I was to say "how do I get this overweight person to look hotter". Women are beautiful no matter what body type. Basic knowledge in posing would be able to help you pose all body types to flatter.

Maybe a more appropriate question would be how to best flatter a thin person. Adding in a opinion of whether or not a person is "hot" is offensive...you want to make a thin girl "hotter" so what exactly does that mean to you? What would your ideal "hotness" of a woman be. Where are we going with this? Do you have photo of a "HOT" woman so we can see what your standards of beauty are?

The way I read it, it is the slim girl that wants to look hotter. Maybe she should give or show some examples of what SHE thinks is hot.

And @paigew thank you for your..........

"hot adjective (SEXY)

Was my response so philosophical???............

Blame it on the media for drilling it into a mans brain that a Blonde with huge tits in consider "HOT".

Your emotional responses are very predictable though, since you are female.

"hot adjective (SEXY)

Blame it on the media for drilling it into a mans brain that a Blonde with huge tits in consider "HOT".

Actually... It doesn't matter what color her hair is... :biggrin-93:

"hot adjective (SEXY)

Actually... It doesn't matter what color her hair is... :biggrin-93:
LOL. Touche, most don't even have their natural color anyways, so your right, it doesn't matter haha

I'm a guy but I'm with Paige on this. If the subject wants to look "hotter" then she should be able to explain what that means TO HER. Different cultures tend to accentuate different attributes, and not knowing the cultural context, it's difficult to give coherent advice. If the lady has in mind the prevailing North-American cultural idea of what "hot" is, then JoeW's suggestions probably apply quite well. The other side of this is that there's usually an intended audience for someone's "hot" looks. Again, not knowing who is going to be looking at the images, it's difficult to know what to suggest.

If you have to talk your way out of explaining what "hot" means, then your trying way to hard.

It takes literally .02 seconds to tell if someone is HOT (attractive), has nothing to do with culture.

I am a white american, however I think Asians are HOT as ****.

So are latinos, so can be indians. lol

HOT is a pretty universal language ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back