Photo Shoot

dla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will be taking some pictures of a friends kids. It will be in my back yard under a large oak tree. No matter what time of the day it is always shady. I have the kit lens that came with my Nikon D3000 to work with and only the flash on the camera. I was looking for a place to start with the settings.

Thanks,
Dannie

There's no way we can tell you some setting that will be sure to work. There are no magical settings, period. Even as a baseline. It all depends on the light. Use your light meter and own knowledge.

^^ basically. Normally, i guess on my first shots (based off of my meter), review them and the "blinkies" (tells me what is blown out), and then i go from there. Its alot of guess and check until you get it right.

I will be taking some pictures of a friends kids. It will be in my back yard under a large oak tree. No matter what time of the day it is always shady. I have the kit lens that came with my Nikon D3000 to work with and only the flash on the camera. I was looking for a place to start with the settings.

Thanks,
Dannie

I would walk up to a scene like that with my ISO set at 400. Shutter at 1/200. Aperture set at 8. Then adjust everything from there for my desired effect. Metering mode to center weighted, and AF to spot.

If you are asking this question, I would suggest setting your camera on Aperture Priority (A) setting and letting the camera choose the rest. If you are getting motion blur, either add light (reflector, speed light, new location) or open your lens up a stop or two.

When posting a question like this, it is always good to list your available gear.

p!nK

^^ basically. Normally, i guess on my first shots (based off of my meter), review them and the "blinkies" (tells me what is blown out), and then i go from there. Its alot of guess and check until you get it right.

Under the shady tree, I would be more concerned with under exposed subjects.

p!nK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back