Photo Shop or Photo Shop Elements

Bryce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been told Elements is pretty much Photo Shop without the bells and whistles. I am getting sick of Elements because it does not reset the settings and it adjust each picture according to how I did the last one and if I open a jpg file it looks awesome but if I open a raw file it takes out the color and puts in a hazy filmy look. Would I solve these problems if I had the full Photo Shop or do I havve some settings off. I like picnik better than my elements but it does not have a regular program. Any help here.

Go full photoshop..you will NOT regret it.

I began in elements and enjoyed it as it gave me some great tools, but as soon as I moved to CS4 on my personal computer and CS5 on my work computer, its completely and sincerely the tool that you need as a photographer.

I am getting sick of Elements because it does not reset the settings and it adjust each picture according to how I did the last one .................. do I havve some settings off.

I haven't used elements for a long time but I thinks something is wrong if it's retaining all the settings from the last edit. I never heard of a program doing that.

Any way if you can afford it I would definitely upgrade to CS5.

A quote by Scott Kelby on the Photofocus podcast #39 on May 15:
In CS4 there wasn’t a compelling reason for photographer’s to upgrade.
There were many plug-ins people were buying to supplement Photoshop.
CS5 has a ton of new features for photographers including improved HDR including built-in ghosting, noise reduction at the RAW level, automated lens correction, content-aware fill (works great for panos), selection masks, and more.
Best upgrade of Photoshop since CS.

I couldn't agree more with that statement.
You can throw away your noise reduction and HDR programs if you use CS5.

They have lightroom classes at the college. I may go check it out and take a class. A friend of mine got the real photoshop in Ireland for $150. Did not bring me back a copy. Nice friend huh.

First of all RAW is unedited and requires the user to edit the photo. It will appear to be rough.
Jpeg out of the camera has already had the camera do the editing for you therefore it appears better.
I have PSE and have had great success with it and so far have not found much more out there for PS that PSE cant do (unless you're a pro). My suggestion is to learn the program you have first before bailing on it. Both PS and PSE have large learning curves and I don't think you're understanding the file differences.
Do you normally shoot in RAW or jpeg or both?

I have been messing around on my other computer a bit and on there when I open a raw file the color is reduced a bit but not hazy gray like on this computer. When I open the raw on here the picture is no good for anything. The more I try to correct it the picture gets broken down so much it turns to noise. When I do the same on the other computer I get a picture that can easily be fixed. When I used film I never had such problems. It may be somthing in this computer because the pictures opened in raw are good for nothing they are so blown out of whack. Also when I first started doing the pictures in raw on this computer I did not have the problem it started later on.

I used to shoot in all raw until the program started taking out the color and making the pictures hazy gray. I was having fun when the program functioned in a usefull manner. I want to go back to raw but I am taking pictures for business reasons and need a good clear shot so I have to take them in jpg.

I used to shoot in all raw until the program started taking out the color and making the pictures hazy gray. I was having fun when the program functioned in a usefull manner. I want to go back to raw but I am taking pictures for business reasons and need a good clear shot so I have to take them in jpg.
Im still learning all that PSE has to offer but have not ran across this issue. It does sound like a computer issue or a corrupted program.
Good Luck, I hope you find the answer.
Have you switched brand of cameras?

I might uninstall the program. My other computer can't handle the files leaving me with this one. I will reinstall and see what happens.

I have been told Elements is pretty much Photo Shop without the bells and whistles. I am getting sick of Elements because it does not reset the settings and it adjust each picture according to how I did the last one and if I open a jpg file it looks awesome but if I open a raw file it takes out the color and puts in a hazy filmy look. Would I solve these problems if I had the full Photo Shop or do I havve some settings off. I like picnik better than my elements but it does not have a regular program. Any help here.

Don't get elements, its garbage imo.

I was in your situation rescently, as I didn't own any version of photoshop, or emelents. I tried the demo for elements, and I didn't like it at all.

Settled on the non-extended version of CS5 and Lightroom 2, which I just upgraded to ver 3 a few days ago.

I highly recommend both, they have both met and exceeded my expectations.

Remember that photoshop is a creative program. If you get elements you are very limited in what you can do compared to the full version, which then limits your creative ability.

Theres a good chance that you will want to do something, only to find out that you can't with elements.

Cost is always a factor, and given the price tag it may be a big one.

Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

If you are going to bother taking a class, why not take one on photoshop instead and get the student discount on CS5?

We have short courses at the college does that count? It is like a hundred bucks for so many sessions.

Before you remove or reinstall you should try reset all the settings, you probably have a corrupt user settings file. (Prefs.psp)
To do this shut down elements if it's running and then restart it.
Immediately as its starting hold down Shift+Alt+CTRL on a Windows machine or Shift+Opt+CTRL on a Mac and answer yes to the duologue box asking you if you want to delete the preferences.

See if that helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back