Photo Storing Websites

wmc1117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to figure out which website I want to use to upload and store my pictures, I was just curious what are peoples thoughts and what they like about websites they use themselves? I see a lot of people here use Flickr but when I looked into it, I guess the free account only allows you a limited amount monthly whereas websites like Shutterfly allow unlimited for free? Just curious what peoples thoughts are.

I use Smumug but, it isnt free. I dont like free sites myself. You want to read the Terms of Service on some of them as well. Some sites are giving themselves unlimitied rights to your images. While I dont think places like Flikr are yet I do believe that they and, many others will.

Thanks thats good to know...never really thought of that possibility.

I am in the process of trying to figure out which website I want to use to upload and store my pictures, I was just curious what are peoples thoughts and what they like about websites they use themselves? I see a lot of people here use Flickr but when I looked into it, I guess the free account only allows you a limited amount monthly whereas websites like Shutterfly allow unlimited for free? Just curious what peoples thoughts are.

Are you looking for a place to upload your photos where people can see them or are you looking for an actual place to store you photos as in not on your computer? If it is a place where people can view them, I would suggest either Flickr pro account ($25.00) a year or Smug Mug. Not sure what the cost or what their limits are.

If this is the place where you want to actually store you photos then this is a bad idea. You need to keep the originals of you photos on more than one storage device such as you computer, + an external hard drive + DVD backups kept off site. Mine go to our bank box never to be touched unless needed. Websites come and go. 10 years ago Netscape was big news. Where are they now. Same thing could happen to Flicker, Smug mug and any other internet service. You do not want them to become you data storage only to have them gone one day.

thats a good point...hey that leads to another question of mine, I tried to drag my pictures onto a USB stick to give to my Mom, and for some reason it wouldn't let me do it? I do not remember specifically what the error message was but I was just curious if any of you have encountered this problem, and if so how do i avoid it?

How many copies of your photos should you have? 3.

1) Working copy on your computer
2) Backup drive
3) Online backup.

Online backup doesn't mean a site like Flickr, but rather a site like Rapidshare that will take the full, uncompressed image in whatever format you care to upload it. There is a 200MB file limit and I doubt you will have an image larger than that. If you do, put it into split-up RAR archives and then upload each of the individual RAR parts.

I have a 1 TB External Flash drive. It sits right here on my little computer desk.

They're getting less and less expensive all the time. Here's the one I use, but there are many brands to choose from. I paid about $160 6 months ago for this Drive.

I store all my images in Categories/Folders/files.

When it eventually gets full, I'll buy another. It's connected by fire wire, so I can transfer back and forth very quickly when necessary.

I hope that helps too.

dan

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a 1 TB External Flash drive. It sits right here on my little computer desk.

They're getting less and less expensive all the time. Here's the one I use,
dan

Flash =/= hard drive. Flash media is quicker and more resilient and thus more expensive per GB. There are no terabyte flash drives on the market at this time.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back