Photo Studio lighting

okwori12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good day great photographers in the house..
Can i use two speedlite and two octa godox softbox for a start in my studio? Please what are your suggestions?
Studio is for portraits and full length image.

If you have the budget, I´d rather go for a third. But of course you can always add it later too.
If possible, I´d go for different sized softboxes (maybe only one octa and the other one rectangular). That would give you more options for shaping the light.

Can i use two speedlite and two octa godox softbox for a start in my studio? Please what are your suggestions?

If you have the budget, I´d rather go for a third. But of course you can always add it later too.
If possible, I´d go for different sized softboxes (maybe only one octa and the other one rectangular). That would give you more options for shaping the light.

Ooh... I regret ordering two octagonal softbox already. Thanks for the info. I will get the third flash

Don´t worry, it will work with two octas too. But always keep in mind than every light shaping tool will create a different look. That is especially true for the main light. Not so much (but still) for fill light, hair light, etc..
Depending on where you ordered, you may be able to cancel and create a new order.

Ooh... I regret ordering two octagonal softbox already. Thanks for the info. I will get the third flash

Don´t worry, it will work with two octas too. But always keep in mind than every light shaping tool will create a different look. That is especially true for the main light. Not so much (but still) for fill light, hair light, etc..
Depending on where you ordered, you may be able to cancel and create a new order.

Is okay. I will order the rectangular softbox too. Becuase the octa softbox has been shipped to my country. Thanks

Don't buy another piece of lighting kit.

Experiment and learn everything you can with the gear you currently have and I mean everything.

First - turn of all nice fancy features of the lighting. No HSS, no TTL. These will make your learning process take a lot longer.
Second - Start with one light and modifier. Shoot yourself, family, pets, flowers, different angles etc. Do this until you understand the consequences of placing the light in location "X" will have vs placing it in location "Y".
Once this has been done. Bring in the second light. Then once completed with light 2 bring in either a different modifier or another light.

By doing it this way you will have an excellent base knowledge of how each light will change the photo.

Third - If @tirediron or @Derrel contradict what I say.....listen to them.

Don't buy another piece of lighting kit.

Experiment and learn everything you can with the gear you currently have and I mean everything.

First - turn of all nice fancy features of the lighting. No HSS, no TTL. These will make your learning process take a lot longer.
Second - Start with one light and modifier. Shoot yourself, family, pets, flowers, different angles etc. Do this until you understand the consequences of placing the light in location "X" will have vs placing it in location "Y".
Once this has been done. Bring in the second light. Then once completed with light 2 bring in either a different modifier or another light.

By doing it this way you will have an excellent base knowledge of how each light will change the photo.

Third - If @tirediron or @Derrel contradict what I say.....listen to them.

Pretty good advice. Starting with one light in an umbrella or softbox or octabox will teach you a lot. ONE light can do quite a lot of good work!

Am really happy for this great reply. Thanks so much. I will do just that. And i promise to share the images here for more tips on how to improve

Check out strobist.blogspot.com. They have lots of good information in their tutorials. Would be a good starting point. It was good advice to try what you have before buying more. But I would suggest 1 other item and that's what fmw referred too. And that's a reflector. It can be clamped to something, held by someone, placed on the floor, leaned against someone. Get one with multi surfaces. Gold side gives nice warming tones, white nice diffuse light, silver more reflective harsh light, etc. Many many uses.

I will disagree with @zombiesniper on the don't buy anything else. Buy this and read it: Light Science & Magic.

It is a must have for anyone working with lighting, any kind of lighting.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You guys are great. Thanks for the info. Am grateful... I actually read through some tutorials and i discovered that what i need next is a reflector. Thanks

Strobist tutorial 101.
Am beginning to understand the lighting Concept. I think lighting is even the most important thing in photography. Thanks @benhasajeep..
I believe by the end of July i will have a full understanding of this lighting concept.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back